Page fault in non-paged area

jephph

I've got a client with a reboot loop. When trying to run from the e-machines XP Media Center OS Disc, I get this message. I check the RAM with MemTest98+. It passed 42 times, so that looks good. I couldn't get Seatools to run on the client's computer because the mouse wasn't recognized in the Seatools GUI. However, I pulled the HD out, and put it in an enclosure, and hooked it up to my computer. When I powered on the enclosure, it sent my computer to the same blue screen (Page Fault In Non Paged Area) When my computer booted back up, the hard disk in the enclosure only showed up as a recovery partition (about 10GB). The drive is 160GB. I check in disk management, and the rest of the 160GB shows up, but there is nothing I can do with it. It won't even show it's properties (says something about refreshing the drive list, which I do, but to no effect). I started up Seatools for Windows, and the drive showed up under "USB" but I'm not sure if it detected the whole drive, or just that recovery partition (Seatools doesn't show any drive sizes). Anyway, I did a short scan and long scan with Seatools, and it came up clean. Not sure how to proceed. By the way, I can't get into the OS on the client's drive with any option (Safe Mode, etc.).

That sounds like a bad partition. when you look at that drive using Disk Manager, what shows up?
My primary C: drive has three partitions
  1. Healthy (oem)
  2. Recovery, xxx gb NTFS
  3. Win7-OS (C:), yyy gb NTFS, Healthy (boot, page file,crash dump, primary)
The most critical piece is the file system type, in my case NTFS -- but what do you see?

It shows up as "Disk 2, Basic, 149.05GB, Online"
The first partition is "RECOVERY (K:) 5.29 GB FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition)
The second partition just says "143.75 GB" It doesn't say anything else. When I right click it, most of the options are greyed out. The only things I can do are "Change Drive Letter and Paths, Format, or Delete Volume"
I can click "Properties" also, but then it gives me an error message that says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh view..." I try to refresh and I get the same message.

It shows up as "Disk 2, Basic, 149.05GB, Online"
The first partition is "RECOVERY (K:) 5.29 GB FAT32, Healthy (Primary Partition)
The second partition just says "143.75 GB" It doesn't say anything else. When I right click it, most of the options are greyed out. The only things I can do are "Change Drive Letter and Paths, Format, or Delete Volume"
I can click "Properties" also, but then it gives me an error message that says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh view..." I try to refresh and I get the same message.
So sorry there mate - - you need a partition repair tool. If it fails, you're up a creek w/o a paddle :(

"Page Fault In Non Paged Area" occurs for two major reasons
  • 1) bad memory
  • 2) a bad pagefile (or in your case a bad partition holding the pagefile)
You did the test for memory so SADLY it's the HD

I tried to run Parted Magic from the UBCD disc on the infected computer. It gets to "Loading System Devices" and then freezes. Is there another decent one I could try? Maybe from Windows through the enclosure?

Back