Page File Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on setting PAge file sizes.

I have a system with 2 hds a cd writer and a DVD writer. 1 ghz of memory
The 2 hds are master and slave on primary ide the cd and dvd are master and slave on secondary ide channel.

Should I change the hds to be masters on primary and secondary and cd and dvd to slaves ?
Also what would be a good page file size ( should I have a pagefile on each disk set to the same size ?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You should be fine with a pagefile from 512-1024 MB.

Put the pagefile on the fastest and least used drive. If your system and all programs are on the master then put the pagefile on the slave unless the slave drive is much slower than the master..

Make sure the new pagefile is not fragmented. Fully defragment (not with Windows defrag) the drive you will be putting PF on or use the pagedefrag utility.

Things may be a little bit faster if you put the pagefile HD on the secondary IDE channel but that depends on your IDE controller - things may get very slow too.

Keep a 10MB pagefile on the partition where your OS is, the rest can go to the other HD as Nodsu says. That way you can take images of your OS-partition if needed, and restore them without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back