Painfully slow laptop at times - HJT included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.
Recently my laptop (maybe only 2 years old) has become incredibly slow, making work almost impossible. I've included the hijack this log

Moderator Edit:
Logs must be attached, not pasted

You are OVER-PROTECTED. Each application protecting the computer is questioning every move made by running applications, and sometimes contending with another protection.

Real time Internet Security = 1 firewall + 1 antivirus + 1 antimalware

O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv)
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd)
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation -
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC

I did not check all components of the service to determine your effective protection. Each service brings along its own control & update function. The sluggishness is a cummulative effect.

A suite normally has all the needed components to protect your computer.

Alternative is for you to assemble applications to form the protection.

You supplement realtime protection with on-demand applications used periodically.

To further this: Choose ONE of these antivirus programs. Uninstall the rest:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe

Turn off or uninstall the online scanner. It should not be running in the background:
C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe

skad4life, I will make a general comment to you: you are slow because you have too much running. Too many programs starting on boot. Too many processes loading from the Registry or Startup menu. There are entries that will need to be removed, but do yourself a favor: when you get the antivirus program down to one:
Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything except the antivirus programs (one), firewall, touchpad for the laptop (Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe) and network process. Everything else can be started manually as needed.
Reboot the machine. You will get a nag message that you can close after checking 'don't show this message again'. Stay in Selective Startup.

You WILL notice a remarkable increase in boot speed, surf speed and shutdown speed.

We can then further review the logs for entries to remove.

rf6647, would you like me to review the rest of the log? I will hold back if you plan to do it.

Bobbye please continue

Bobbye please continue with this thread. You correctly perceive that my response was merely a 'bump'. Your response is specific & comprehensive.

Okay, let's see if we can get the Startups down:

skad4life, please get the antivirus program taken care of first. When you decide which one you will keep, uninstall all of the others. NOTE: complete the section on msconfig first. These programs will not allow the uninstalls if they are running. Then run a scan with the antivirus program, updating first.

The complete the section for msconfig. Once done, run HijackThis again and post new log. If necessary, we'll have you run additional programs, but we have to get as many of those unnecessary startups stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back