TechSpot

Paint cannot read this file?

By Jacob91
Jun 2, 2006
  1. Hi. I am new to these forums, and I am not very computer savvy but I can do a lot more than most people.

I have a problem. Everytime I try to open just about anything (Mozilla Firefox, MSN messenger, Notepad) I get a message that says

Paint cannot read this file
    (File path)
    This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

I have tried Microsoft's Help and support site, and that proved to be no help whatsoever, as it tells me to open my add or remove programs and i cannot open that due to paint error.

I tried a system restore, and that wont even work because of this strange error.

I also doubt this being a virus. I have quite a bit of virus software on my computer and what I think this is is the registry entries for the JPEG graphics filter are missing or damaged.

I would really like some help with my predicament.

2. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 269

It's trying to open the files with paint obviously. Find out why.

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

go into folder option>file types. change those that is neccesary. otherwise, reinstall ms paint from add/remove programs>windows components.

post back if your still stuck.

4. jjlandis

jjlandis TS Rookie

Here is why Paint Brush Gives you that error

Some TIF files are 48-bit. I tried to open some TIFs from MS Image Writter but got that error :

paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

Currenty, I do not know of a program to edit a 48-bit TIF. This issue is published on MS web site...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917498/EN-US/

System XP SP2 tried w/ Regular Paint also tried Adobe PS and Paint.Net...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.