Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook: Has XP, can I downgrade to Win98 SE?

Hello,

I am new to the site and signed up to ask two questions. I may be purchasing a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook that currently has XP loaded onto it. If I buy it I will downgrade the operating system to WIN98SE. If you are wondering why I am doing this downgrade, it is because I have one software/hardware that can ONLY be run properly on WIN98SE. The purpose of this laptop will be to run this one piece of software/hardware (its eprom burner/reader software/hardware....I didn't build it so I dont know why it can only be run on win98se)

Here are the specs of the toughbook: Intel 1.6GHz, 1.25GB ram and 80Gb drive. Windows XP and Office 2007.

I did join the notebbookreview site right before coming here becuase they have an offical cf 29 thread but being im new to that site im not allowed to post questions yet apparently.

I have two questions:

1st question: Can this CF 29 be wiped clean and have WIN98SE loaded onto it and not lose any of its capabilities that it has with XP (I.e. wifi; usb; etc)? It is a CF 29 but there is more to the model number on the underside sticker which may be important and the seller will be sending me that info this evening. When I get it, I will post it here later today. I just don't want to buy this laptop, remove xp then go to load win98se and it doesnt load....now I have a door stop. The laptop is useless to me UNLESS it can run win98se. The guy is local and the price is decent considering its age and all.

2nd question: I have a win98se disc I am going to load onto the laptop but its a disc I used in the past to load onto a different laptop. Can I use this same disc to load or do I need to buy an unopened, "new". never loaded, copy of win98se?

Thank you for your time to read this and hope to hear from someone today or by tomorrow afternoon. I am supposed to be meeting the seller around 7pm 11-1-19 to make the purchase.

Mark

(PS: Im not into reposting but I may copy/paste this question in the laptop/notebook forum section too so more eyes can see it. Its the only time I'd do this but the answers im needing are under a deadline)

Ebay has a good number of working laptops with Win98 for sale.
If you bought installed then removed a copy of Win98 from another machine, I think you can re-use the 'key'.
Uncertain that all needed drivers would be installed.

Ebay has a good number of working laptops with Win98 for sale.
If you bought installed then removed a copy of Win98 from another machine, I think you can re-use the 'key'.
Uncertain that all needed drivers would be installed.

I did purchase a laptop from ebay (dell c510/c610) with win98se..but lately its been acting screwy and felt I needed a back up, plus id like to have one when I go to different locations and a toughbook would be perfect to have. Attached is a pic of the win98se disc I have. I have no idea how I acquired it..it did not come with the dell ebay laptop I mentioned. I plan on using this disc to load the toughbook.

Attachments

• A208E15A-81CE-4337-A416-040E8C790EF7.jpeg
    A208E15A-81CE-4337-A416-040E8C790EF7.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
Surprised no one has suggested YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY.

If you're already spending $$, then by all means at least get a 64bit from a reliable source.

Back