Pandora to implement 40-hour listening limit for free mobile streamers

By Shawn Knight
Feb 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Pandora recently announced plans to introduce a 40 hour listening limit for customers using the service on a mobile device. The steaming music outfit says the new restriction will not affect most users as less than four percent of their...

Read more
  2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

Or alternatively, you could probably load up the desktop version of the website on your mobile device and get the same result.

I was about to balk at 40 hours of listening, but then I thought about how much I actually use the service on my phone, and realized I'd be perfectly fine with that.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

Is that 40 hours a month, 40 hours a year? 40 hours per day? That's an important detail. I assume it's a month.

Sounds like the same sort of thing that happened to Netflix that caused them to separate streaming and DVD fees. More evidence that the entertainment industry was behind the curve with internet media. Now that they see how popular it is they want more money.
  4. Great. So now people will just make two accounts..
    spencer likes this.
  5. I think it's a 40 hour a day limit. Silly Sconnie.....

Actual users of the service will understand that it is a monthly limit. This year is the first time I've upgraded to Pandora One. I'd balked in past years, but the quantity of commercials was getting very frustrating. I can honestly say it's the best entertainment dollar I've spent. Far better than Netflix or Amazon Prime. Pandora allows me to block out the morons around me while I'm at work and I've discovered great new music as an added bonus.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,164   +431

I don't know which planet you live on, but I want to become a citizen. You have any idea how much work I could get done with a 40hr day?!
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

That 40 hr/day comment was a joke you know. :) I try and make my sarcasm extreme enough that it's obvious, but I guess I fail sometimes.

You say everyone around you at work is a m0ron... Interesting
    davislane1 likes this.
  8. If it wasn't that big of an issue, that only a small part of the listening audience surpasses the 40-hours a month, then why bother putting it in in the first place?

I call shenanigans...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.