Papa is the 'grandkids on-demand' app for senior citizens

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: This is an excellent example of the gig economy at its finest - a service that boosts the quality of life of senior citizens and exposes young people to an older (and wiser) generation, all while serving as a viable source of income.

Technology is often blamed for fostering a culture with far less of an emphasis on social interactions. The burden of loneliness is especially prevalent among senior citizens who, through a combination of things like decreased independence and the fact that their children are grown and leading their own busy lives (often times many miles away), may not have the opportunity to get out, run errands or make personal connections as freely as they once were able to.

It’s this void that Papa, a “grandkids on demand” service, looks to fill.

Founded by Andrew Parker, Papa serves as a conduit for connecting senior citizens with young people – it links two generations. Seniors can hire a Papa Pal to lend a hand with tasks like grocery shopping, accompanying them to doctor’s appointments, helping out with chores around the house, teaching them how to use modern technology or simply as a companion to chat with.

The service is based out of Florida and has around 250 members at present with plans to expand to other states in the coming years. Members pay a monthly fee on top of hourly rates for visits by Papa Pals, local college students or those working on a masters / medical / nursing degree. Pals are subjected to a background check as well as a personality test and must have a four-door vehicle.

If you’re looking to become a Papa Pal to make a few quick bucks, this probably won’t be a good fit, says Parker. Instead, the service aims to cure loneliness and give seniors a way to have a fun day without having to inconvenience family members or friends.

Permalink to story.

"exposes young people to an older (and wiser) generation"

If they're so wise, why do they need knockoff grand kids?

This sounds like a great idea. I hope the execution goes well.

I've worked with many senior citizens, many who have a modest amount of disposable income for the occasional ordering in or to invest in their favorite tech products (like media consumption on tablets). This is especially true in upscale assisted living places (a fancy way to say 'nice nursing home').

Some of my favorite cases have been with people in their 80's and 70's who fought in WW2, Vietnam, and did many other things around the globe. Work would often become hours long conversations on their experiences and ideas. If college kids could get some money out of it, I think it would be better for both sides.

The main issue the founder needs to avoid is predatory behavior against senior citizens. This will require somewhat serious vetting. It seems Parker has already thought about this and is addressing these head on.

Extreme vetting will be important. Some young punk would be looking to knock off some old money

I've done some volunteering at the Canadian Mental Health Association. Many of the older people seem unassuming, but have the most amazing life experiences and stories when you talk to them. Very rewarding for both sides.

I'm all for it. I just don't want the elderly to be vulnerable to those looking to make a score.
I certainly agree when you are essentially sending some random person to their home or apartment. In my situation we are checked out, are there for years so who you are gets known and the people go there for the programs, it's not in their homes so its supervised by CMHA staff.

Back