Paramount first to sell UltraViolet movies but limits platform support

By Rick
Jan 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As companies begin to embrace UltraViolet, a centralized meta-DRM strategy used for video content, Paramount appears to be the first to actually offer stand-alone UV movies for sale to consumers.…

Read the whole story
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

why not just make MKV universal and playable on any players.
  3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

Because MKV is just the content container and has nothing immediately to do with "DRM Ecosystem" management, where UV is directly involved with that. Two different things (or so how I understand it).
  4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

No sureprise there...

Who owns the MKV format?
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

It is an open standard. effectively open source container format, though the name is owned by (no surprise) Matroska.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Might be something piracy related.
  7. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,159   +198

So i need to pay extra for movies, i have to create an account and register every movie i buy, i need to buy specific UV compatible software or hardware to play them.

Sounds utterly fantastic... not.
  8. Kinda like the old MP3 fiasco.......When they tried to sell DRM infested movies and finally woke up that people wanted DRM music....I agree if I'm going to pay that much you better make it a open standard like MKV.... Sell it at a good price and piracy won't be much of an issue. Till then good luck with that...LOL
  9. Paramount has hideous customer support. I purchased 4 movies and only one showed up in my cloud - although my account was linked. I wrote to customer service 4x and recieved unbelievable generic responses that made no effort or attempt to fix my problem. At the very least they should have made things right after I spent over $65 on movies I should have access to my digital content!! I have read that they were the first company to participate in the UV program....strange that they are also the worst. Take it from me and go with Sony, Flixter, or Universal if you wish to actually access your content in the cloud.