TechSpot

PARC: How Xerox contributed to the first laser printer, GUI, ethernet and other mainstream technolog

By Julio Franco
Dec 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Yes, a really great place that had a lot of good ideas and products that Gates and Jobs could build their companies from in the 70's. Between the hardware Xerox came up with and the Software (GUI)... Wondering If Hewlett or Packard visited the place too and got the idea of the laser printer and expensive ink/toner from them.

2. Erik

Erik TechSpot Staff Posts: 294   +10 Staff Member

Very interesting article, It's always amazing to see how history repeats itself. Nice piece Matt!

3. So instead of saying Microsoft or Apple is better/worse maybe we should just say thank you to all the PARC employees.

4. Kinda sad that Xerox is best known as a copy machine brand rather than an innovator in personal computing.

5. Just goes to show that it's not about ideas. It's about vision and marketing.

6. Thank goodness there are still a few people around who recognize how much bs has been shoveled around about Apple and Steve Jobs. Since his death, Steve Jobs and Apple have been credited with inventing everything from the personal computer to the internet. And I'm really tired of hearing such lies. Unfortunately the very young and the uninformed believe most of that crap so it's refreshing to see the truth in print for a change. Go Xerox!

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

EXACTLY. The better mouse trap seldomly wins, but the better marketing team almost always does.

Back when the Big Blue Mainframe was THE system (aka System/360) companies were afraid of being locked into IBM (justly so too).
    However, no manager was ever fired because he/she bought IBM - - the same could not be said for the competition.

Xerox PARC management just didn't have the vision to see the ubiquitous nature of PCs; a sin that neither Gates nor Jobs suffered from.

8. Blasphemy, all this was thanks to Apple.

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

Sorry but, even as a proponent of Apple, I can tell you the story is true - - I was in Silicon Valley when it all occured.

10. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Don't you know? Steve Jobs invented the universe.

11. I was a Xerox employee for 43 years and saw upper management run the company into the ground.Not using all the technology that was invented at Parc was only part of their mistakes. The company, Xerox, is only a shell of what is used to be. They no longer care about their employees current or retired.

12. 1949pilot

1949pilot TS Rookie

1949pilot

The sad thing is that Xerox is still out there, clawing their way to the bottom. When I started with them in 1972 they were 95 cents of every dollar spend worldwide for copying. Now they are in fourth place-being led down the path by the three musketeers. Sad indeed.

13. 1949 pILOT, I too worked at Xerox, Cleveland Oh. Diamond Shamrock Bldg. LOVED it. I was amazd at the TECH being invented or enhanced. The STAR 8010. Networking. Mice. Problem is as someone said, TOP Management was selfServing. To think, had THEY beeen thinkers, they'd be FABULOUSLY rich as well as famous. Greed. Stupidity.
    Amazing how Apple's founder admitted ( youtube " I hired the wrong Guy ) Seeing this and having an Epiphany. Yet HE and HIS company is credited as creating the entire Nice. APPLE as JOBS admits OWES it LIFE to XEROX. JOBS admits it in th e interview. SOmhow I missed the HAND-HELD device . NEAT ONE.

14. Too bad they have been ahead of their time. I guess such inventions won't pay big until they invent time travel. Think about it...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.