Partition Magic for Windows 7?

drecked

Hi Guy's , I have the partition magic program for XP. Is there a new one to suit windows 7
because my wife's laptop with W7 is rejecting the current one . Regards Drecked .

Did you investigate their website? Win6 has a very specific boot sector and Win8 will even be more challenging - - -

Why is that ? I found pm 8 not that hard to operate the only reason I like a partition because if I have virus problem etc
which is not fixable I can format the C drive without losing my pictures etc on the D drive . (inXP)
But I like to hear about any problems you know of with partition magic so I can be aware rather than find out the hard way
I'm always willing to learn Jobeard

I think he just means don't use XP's PM with 7 (if you had a way to force it).

What are you trying to accomplish? Win 7 has basic, but effective partitioning through the Admin Tools Control Panel in Computer Management (disk management). If you need something more advanced than that, gParted is pretty good and free. But you'll have to do all the partitioning setup and creation outside of the Windows environment (although it is GUI'd so its not terribly difficult).

The primary function of partitioning is still trivial. The sensitivity is in the MBR.
An example is fixmbr, bootrec.exe ....

see tomshardware.com article for techniques use to fix the mbr when necessary.

The three variations noted there should cause a moment of reflection - - WHY 3? Because it is more complicated
that what we all grew up with. When Win/8 arrives with signed boot manager, it will be even more so.

As a reminder, when you mark a primary partition active, the MBR is updated to reflect which partition contains the kernel to be booted. I hope PM8 clearly states that Win/7 is supported!!!

Just wanted to note: Partition Manager 9, the newest release, supports Windows 8, Win 7, XP/Vista. There are other free alternatives / guides should you want to go that route (as already noted above).

Thanks Look-in Around, I appreciate all the input but that's what I wanted to know > I'm use to that program
so I try to stick with what I know, regards to you all drecked

Back