Partition question

hi all
I have Toshiba Laptop it contains 320GB harddisk and there is not partition in it.. I can see only c drive. I want to make partition without formatting harddisk.. is there any way to achieve this target..

kindly help me experts...

You can using something like GParted. Download and burn the iso to a CD, then boot your laptop using it. Do backup important files before you partition your hard drive, just in case.

You can using something like GParted. Download and burn the iso to a CD, then boot your laptop using it. Do backup important files before you partition your hard drive, just in case.
Gparted is a Linux-only solution.
I second that. EASEUS is quite easy to use too. Just grab the home edition for free and get working.

Regards,
Marnomancer.

Rabbit01 said:
You can using something like GParted. Download and burn the iso to a CD, then boot your laptop using it. Do backup important files before you partition your hard drive, just in case.​
Gparted is a Linux-only solution.

Yes, it's not a Windows program that one installs, but have to boot the computer with. But once it's up and running, partition can be added, removed, etc. Data remains intact. Once operations are complete, restart the computer.

It worked for me on my old computer running XP.

FDISK is very simple indeed (y) (boot from Hiren's or UBCD)
(not trying to dis EASEUS or gparted, which both also work fine;))

Just jumping in for a couple points.

Your hard drive does have a partition on it. It has at least 1, otherwise there wouldn't be a "C" drive. If you are using Vista? or 7 you have at least 2, because there is a 100MB System Reserved partition that is created. That is all irrelevant to your question though, just pointing something out.

If you are running 7. You can shrink your C drive from Admin Tools, Comp Management, Disk Management control panel. Then in the unallocated space, you can create a new partition, that is even easier than Easeus and no install needed.

Easeus though, is a surefire way to make it work regardless of XP/Vista/7, and its pretty simple to use.

If you are using Vista? or 7 you have at least 2, because there is a 100MB System Reserved partition that is created.
Not always because I specifically configure my PC not to have this partition. Windows setup will create this partition if one has not already been created.

If the partition is large enough to carry installation, Windows will not prompt for or create the 200MB partition. However if you allow Windows to create its own partition, the 200MB partition will be created. Upon further study, it is believed that the 200MB partition is only used for BitLocker Drive Encryption. If you plan on using this feature you will need the 200MB partition.

It is also possible to expand the 200MB partition during setup to whatever size you want.
Set up your hard disk for BitLocker Drive Encryption

To encrypt the drive that Windows is installed on, your computer must have two partitions: a system partition (which contains the files needed to start your computer) and an operating system partition (which contains Windows). The operating system partition will be encrypted and the system partition will remain unencrypted so your computer can start.

In previous versions of Windows, you might have had to manually create these partitions. In this version of Windows, these partitions are created automatically. If your computer does not have a system partition, the BitLocker wizard will create one for you using 200 MB of available disk space. The system partition will not be assigned a drive letter and will not show up in the Computer folder.

FDISK is very simple indeed (y) (boot from Hiren's or UBCD)
(not trying to dis EASEUS or gparted, which both also work fine;))
Hehe, John, Hiren's is good, but honestly not that easy when compared to EASEUS. The smell of Linux still scares some away.

If the partition is large enough to carry installation, Windows will not prompt for or create the 200MB partition. However if you allow Windows to create its own partition, the 200MB partition will be created. Upon further study, it is believed that the 200MB partition is only used for BitLocker Drive Encryption. If you plan on using this feature you will need the 200MB partition.

It is also possible to expand the 200MB partition during setup to whatever size you want.

Sounds interesting.
But Cliff, it's not advisable IMHO. That 100 MB partition is meant to store the bootloader and the recovery tools and other kernel-level tools. So if it happens that you corrupt your C:, you can use those tools to fix things.
If stored in C:, and it's corrupted, you're..urm..screwed. I had that experience. Take note of the Recovery Console. Its title says "X:\". Where did it come from? The system reserved partition. All the core utils are stored there, along with the BitLocker files (because it operates at kernel-level)

That makes it a warning of the OP, too. Whatever the reason, don't delete that extended partition.

Sounds interesting.
But Cliff, it's not advisable IMHO. That 100 MB partition is meant to store the bootloader and the recovery tools and other kernel-level tools. So if it happens that you corrupt your C:, you can use those tools to fix things.
I was simply suggesting that you don't always need the 200MB partition because I personally don't need it and configure my system without it. As to whether it is advisable or not, that depends on the end user.

Back