Partition recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piklemeup

So, a few days ago, I tried to resize my partitions, shrink my linux one, and grow my XP one, I decided to use the Paragon Partition Manger, and it restarted, went into a not-actually-in-windows mode, more or less resized them, and then it said it needed to reboot to continue the operation. So, it did that, but when it did, GRUB came up with an Error 14, because the partitions had changed, I had no idea how to fix this, so I decided to try to restore my partitions. I used TestDisk from a recovery CD, and then loaded into Tiny XP from another CD. I tried to access my drive from there, but it said the file system was corrupt, and now I'm sitting here with a computer with nothing working on it. GRUB is now giving me an error 24 (corrupt file system).
I'm going to try to load into Knoppix via a live CD, and use some of the tools on there.
Anybody have any recommendations? I have photos, movies, music on there from the past 5 years or so, and I'd hate to lose it all.

That is probably the cause of the error, but the thing is, my laptop is dying anyways, and I just want to snag all the data off of it before I sent it back to Dell. All I really need is a way to get the data off my corrupt partition.

Yeah, that allows me to access the data from usb, but that still doesn't make my partition any less corrupt.
I opened up the Local C: drive, and it gave me an error, saying it was corrupt and I couldn't access it. I can't find any of the files. That is my issue.

Good point ! :)

Other than fixing the Linux Partition issue (um don't know)

You can try this:

Recovery Software

Try this one: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm
It is free for up to four folder down, ie
C:\Documents and Setting\UserName\My Documents\My Pictures
1,2,3,4 folders down

Here are a lot more free ones to choose from
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html

Fixing the Partition would be what I'd look into, ie what you need to look into ;)

I'm not going to bother fixing Linux, I didn't have much on there I didn't have replicated elsewhere anyways.

That tool would be good for undeleting files, but again, I can't access them from a partition I can't access.

I'm going to try out my Knoppix Live CD tomorrow, and I'll see how that goes.

Laptop Serial ATA to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable. To allow external backup of your data on another working computer: http://www.cooldrives.com/seatatousb20.html

Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203012

Difference between Sata and IDE: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post656793-4.html (hmm this is for a Desktop, but you get the picture ;))
Very helpful links in above posts about types of adapters you can use.

IMHO some additional very important points:
1. Be sure any adapter you buy comes with its own AC adapter power supply (the adapters in above post DO come with AC adapters)

2. But in addition ALWAYS, Always, Always plug in and use the AC adapter power line. Even if the power light comes on when you're only plugged into the USB port. Sometimes there's enough power from USB port for hardware detection and turn on the light but not enough power to spin the drive disk correctly... causing errors!

So, Knoppix was no help, I started MiniXP again from a CD, and tried to use the Undelete Plus freeware tool, but it couldn't pick up my D drive (with all my stuff on it). When I tried to open the drive it gave me the error "D:\ is not accessible The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable."

Just tried running chkdsk, and it says "The type of the file system is NTFS.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

it's not clear (or i missed skimming through the posts) but have you tried removing the disk and then connecting to a different computer as an external drive?

If not, i think that's your next best hope.

No I haven't LookinAround, but if I do that it will void my warranty on my laptop, so that's not an option. I don't see what the difference would be though if I just loaded from a Live CD, that is not accessing my hard drive, and tried to access the files that way.
That didn't work.

So, I've scoped out what I've lost, and what I have saved elsewhere. Luckily my music and most of my movies are safe. Lost all my school work (I can get copies of it though), and maybe a dozen photos.

Voids the warranty??? Are you sure???

What make / model laptop?

Plus on many laptops is trivial to pull out the drive (it just slides out after loosening a screw or latch). What make/model?

Dell XPS M1530, last time I checked, removing/replacing hardware on your laptop voids your warranty, or at least it did on my sisters laptop. I opened up the RAM slot, and sitting on top of the RAM was a sticker saying "removing hardware will void your warranty" or something along those lines.

Besides, if it's not, I'm not going to shell out for a cable I'll use once, to recover 10 movies or so.

I doubt that cable would do much anyways, when my partition is corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back