Partners start getting Windows 8 builds on Microsoft Connect

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has started giving Original Design Manufacturer (ODMs) and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) access to early Windows 8 builds. The software giant has already posted Windows 8 build 7971 on Microsoft Connect under "Windows 8 and Server vNext Pre-Release Program." The build string is "7971.0.110324-1900" which means the build is quite recent as it was compiled on March 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM.

It follows that certain departments at these companies are starting to test Windows 8. This does not mean, however, that a Windows 8 build is anywhere near ready or that you will be able to get access to the program on Microsoft Connect. In fact, while the testing website always requires an invitation code, they are unique this time around, meaning they can only be used once.

The above screenshot, which is reportedly for installing the aforementioned build, is from My Digital Life forums. It really doesn't show much, but it does promise that more screenshots are bound to be posted, not to mention an actual build will likely leak soon as well.

Windows 8 Milestone 1 screenshots leaked earlier this year. Windows 8 Milestone 2 was rumored to be compiled two months ago and screenshots of one of the builds leaked earlier this month. It's been suggested that this most recent build of Windows 8 is from Milestone 3 and that is why Microsoft has deemed it ready for its partners.

Permalink to story.

It's so predictable for Microswill er Microcheese er Microsoft...

They are already building the "hype" for the NEXT much anticipated toilet flush they are about to release when they haven't fixed the crap from several generations of software (XP) ago.

What astonishes me is that the 'culture' willing accepts this and buys into it on a continual basis.

I'll bet there will be people lined up around the block when 8 is actually released so that they can have the latest and greatest slop from Microsoft

The "Paint" isn't even dry on 7 yet! Vista is still a loser and XP needs to be fixed for those that don't want to upgrade to the new stuff!

windows 95 -> windows vista
windows 98 -> windows 7
windows me -> windows 8

Guest said:

They are already building the "hype" for the NEXT much anticipated toilet flush they are about to release when they haven't fixed the crap from several generations of software (XP) ago.

Releasing a pre-release build to hardware partners is hype? Don't you have a bridge to guard?

Guest said:

They are already building the "hype" for the.............................................................

I forgot the internet gave morons a voice.

XP needs to be given a beautiful grave stone for the outstanding O.S. that it was, it is time to move on IMHO.

First off XP should be done I mean for gods sake it's been 10 years. It needs to go. The only problem I have with microsoft is not making Internet explorer compatible. But in general XP should have ended. I mean even Mac has moved on to Mac OSX. XP users need to upgrade It's not like they did it every year it's been 10 full years.

However they need to fix the bloat in all new Windows in general and need to speed up the operating system for lower end computers. It's too sluggish for slower computers.

To be honest though from the screen shot if that's how the user interface looks I am quite disappointed. That looks well unexciting to say the least.

Everyone likes new things I don't think it's wrong to build hype either. I mean how else do you get attention? This is how our world works. If there was no attention being given to whatever you are selling you might as well not sell it.

If they make something decent it isn't trash. It really depends on Microsoft.
What is wrong with XP anyways? Unless there is some bug that I haven't experienced. Either way I could understand with Vista why they extended the life support for XP since Vista was 5 years of wasted waiting to get a face lift for Windows XP and not much else but with Windows 7 XP needs to be let go.

XP was the OS that gave prestige to Microsoft.
It’s really a very good os if wasn’t DirectX (and the better 64 bit in win7) I doubt If I had uninstall it.
XP is too hard to die

Guys I use linux all day long. I'm LPI certified and STILL i hate the crap out of linux. Until you can honestly find something better than Windows, why rip it off?

And I'm still stuck with ancient XP... Does anyone still use that OS for gaming?

I guess some people still do, but I would imagine most are now using 64 bit Vista/7 due to using more memory these days, among other things as well.

If you have a decent gaming computer worthy of playing games, it should happily run the latest OS anyway.

Windows 7 is doing fine for me, still finding it a bit difficult to get excited about Windows 8. Have to wait and see if it offers any significant new functionality or if Microsoft offers a decent (cheap) upgrade path for those of us that just went though the Vista / Windows 7 cycle.

Ten years on and XP still rocks hard on my machine. Except for the fact that I work with ArcGIS and like RPG's, I'd use linux but captainawesome is right, Linux based OS'es can suck *** sometimes...still love them though, but like i said, I have work to do in Windows and I'm not bothering to put my copy of 7 on an Athlon 64 4000+, 2 gigs of ram, and a 4670. XP is quite fine thankyouverymuch.....

How can you say Microsoft doesn't make an OS that runs well on low end systems? What do you consider low end? I consider low end to be a NEW $400-$500 tower, less monitor and peripherals. If that's what you're talking about, then you're wrong, Windows 7 runs well on low end PCs. Many people that claim Windows doesn't translate well to low end PCs are referring to 5 year old + systems. Well, can you blame Microsoft that they consider a low end PC to be a NEW system? Windows 7 runs best with a few GB of RAM, 2 GB should get it done. For about $500, you can get a case with power supply, a motherboard with integrated video, a dual or quad core CPU, and 3-4 GB RAM and a 1 TB+ hard drive. That's a low end PC.
For $1700, I just ordered a transparent acrylic 9 drive bay case, a 550W dual rail P/S, an Asus H67 Sandy bridge MB, a Quad Core 3.3 GHZ (3.7 turbo) Sandy Bridge CPU, 16 GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 1GB GDDR5 Sapphire Radeon 5770, 64 GB Crucial RealSSD, 4 X 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs(1 RAID 0, 1 RAID 1), a Sony Blu Ray burner, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM, Sony Vegas 10 Platinum Suite, two 120mm case fans, one 80mm case fan, and rails for mounting one HD. That's a he11 of a high end system, minus tons of GPU power, and it's STILL well under $2000. Bottom line, you can get a LOT of computer for a little money these days, and Microsoft knows that just as well as anybody. However, for $400-$500, you can build a pretty nice system at an affordable price, especially if you choose AMD... if your computer can't run Windows 7 well, then maybe it's time to upgrade that Pentium 3 Gateway system, or that Packard Bell 486DX2-66 you got with the 64 Megs of RAM and get a new PC, sorry...

Back