Partypoker vs. 8-step fix

By Erling
Feb 3, 2009
  1. Hi there!
    First of all, very tidy and informative guide!
    Symptoms: Every once in a while, a PartyPoker popup would appear when I clicked a link, along with the linked page. This happened on several sites I trust, so I couldn't be them (I think).
    It didn't happen too often, so it's too early to say if these scans worked - just finished - but hopefully they did.

Logs attached, along with a list of what I saw at the avast! scan summary page (didn't see any print button and didn't go peeking for log files, so I wrote it down).
    To me it seems like that first (never-ending) avast! scan snatched up 4 baddies, and the rest of the programs waved the clean-flag. But I don't know.

Can you have a look at it?

Thanks in advance.

(Also, should I get one of the free Firewalls you recommend instead of the default Windows one?)
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I cannot see any trace of Partypoker on your system
    If it happens again do this ->

In the mean time, you may want to update to a more secure Hosts file
    There's lots of important info on that here:
    As it's difficult to see the actual download, here it is:
    Important! Windows Vista requires special instructions:

Simply download the file, extract, then run mvps.bat, then restart

Then restart, and test browsing the Internet again :)
  3. Erling

Erling TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the answer!
    Read the post, used the internet a bit, then got a popup. I scanned (to no result) and deleted some music I recently got from a friend (I deleted what I didn't know if he had the CD for - I think he probably downloaded most of the rest, and those programs are hardly trustable to any large degree). Then I changed the hosts file as you recommended [edit: holy cow, how I love the absence of those ads on various forums, etc!], followed your other instructions and did the "if it happens again" CCleaner sweep.
    As I said, it only happens once in a while when clicking a link. I'll post back tomorrow (going to bed soon) and tell you if it's gone.
    Thanks again!
  4. Erling

Erling TS Rookie Topic Starter

It seems to be fixed! Thanks a lot!
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.