Password problem fixed. Read problem with HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much Julio and Paragon for the paperclip method. I shorted the pins on the 24C04N chip and I am now able to enter bios setup but now I have a read problem on the HD. It says " Read failure on internal hard drive". I am working on a Dell XPS M140 laptop :( ( I'll never buy a Dell). DD2ZQ91-595B. I tried to reinstall Windows XP and it says " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF87CB4AB, 0x00000000, 0xF87CB4AB, 0X00000000)

*** partmgr.sys - Address F87CB4AB base at F87C9000, DateStamp 00000000

Then I could not shut down the computer until I pulled the power cord and yanked the battery. This is my 1st time working on a laptop so this is a learning process for me. I'd appreciate and advice you could give.

Read failure on internal hard drive
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
Looks like a fault with the Partition on the HardDrive (Fat32 or NTFS)

You could just use a Windows CD, remove the partition (prompted innitially when setting up) and then install Windows on a clean Partition

You may be able to repair the Partition too (as long as it's not a hardware fault with the actual HardDrive)
Have a look at Gparted bootCD for that

Edit:

Or run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive

Found the problem. When installing the HD, one pin got bent over. Time for a new HD. Thanks for the tip on Gparted-Live. Looks like a helpful download for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back