Password problem fixed. Read problem with HDD

By lueger
Oct 4, 2008
  1. Thank you so much Julio and Paragon for the paperclip method. I shorted the pins on the 24C04N chip and I am now able to enter bios setup but now I have a read problem on the HD. It says " Read failure on internal hard drive". I am working on a Dell XPS M140 laptop :( ( I'll never buy a Dell). DD2ZQ91-595B. I tried to reinstall Windows XP and it says " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF87CB4AB, 0x00000000, 0xF87CB4AB, 0X00000000)

*** partmgr.sys - Address F87CB4AB base at F87C9000, DateStamp 00000000

Then I could not shut down the computer until I pulled the power cord and yanked the battery. This is my 1st time working on a laptop so this is a learning process for me. I'd appreciate and advice you could give.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Looks like a fault with the Partition on the HardDrive (Fat32 or NTFS)

You could just use a Windows CD, remove the partition (prompted innitially when setting up) and then install Windows on a clean Partition

You may be able to repair the Partition too (as long as it's not a hardware fault with the actual HardDrive)
    Have a look at Gparted bootCD for that

Or run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive
  3. lueger

lueger TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll try wiping the drive with Drive Scrubber. I'll let you know if it works.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

5. lueger

lueger TS Rookie Topic Starter

Found the problem. When installing the HD, one pin got bent over. Time for a new HD. Thanks for the tip on Gparted-Live. Looks like a helpful download for the future.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.