TechSpot

Password protected shares cannot be accessed over network

By Duck
Jan 29, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a WinXP pro box set up for password protected sharing. I set permissions for "Everyone" to be allowed and I can access the share over the network just fine. But when I remove "Everyone" from the permissions list and allow a different user that I simply named "User", then I cannot access it.

I run Vista and just get an access denied message (no login box??). When I use a file manager (servant salamander), I at least get a login box. I type in "User" and the password for "User" but I just get an access denied message.

I also tried creating another account with the same name that I use to log into the Vista machine but still no luck. I really can't see anything I've done wrong :S Any ideas?
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Don't forget there may be a space recorded at the end of a password... experiment with Capitalization, spaces, and spellings.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.