Password to Prevent files from being deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioVayne

Heading up north (New Zealand) to visit family this weekend, and I guarantee my niece will be fidgeting with my laptop!! (Yes I can hide the thing etc etc, but she'll find it, then jump on it, and do god knows what to it! She's a spoilt little brat!)

I'm after a freeware program which would require a password to delete nominated files (say my music collection or video clips). I want it so you have full access to view / read them but as soon as someone hits [delete] it prompts a password! (also preventing a [Shift] + [Delete]).

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Specs:

Compaq Presario 2200 Pentium M 1.3Ghz 1.5GB RAM
Windows XP SP3

Cheers in advance! :)

Why not password the laptop so she cant use it full stop.

You could create a limited account and make your files private so she cant access them from her account, then make a copy of them into her account, once your trip is over and the little brat is history just remove the account.

Nah then she'll come and harass me (she's the type that'll fully try n wake you up if your asleep or will interrupt whatever you're doing...)

I Haven't got enough space to copy my files onto a second users account...

no program needed. set yourself up in the control panel users account as an administrator and then password protect the account. If you wish to allow her usage, password protect your files by right clicking on them. Add her as a limited rights guest user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back