Patch Tuesday: Microsoft to issue record number of bulletins

Jos

Staff

Looks like system administrators are in for a very busy Patch Tuesday next week. In its advance notification for the August batch of patches, Microsoft has revealed plans to issue 14 bulletins addressing a total of 34 vulnerabilities in all versions of Windows, and certain Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, SQL and Silverlight releases. As much as eight of the bulletins are rated "Critical", Microsoft's highest severity classification, which is generally reserved for holes that could be exploited to remotely execute malicious code.

The remaining bulletins are rated Important and apply to Windows and Office. According to a blog post on the Microsoft Security Response Center, this will be the most bulletins the company has ever released in a single month. However, in total CVE (Common Vulnerability and Exposure) count this release ties with last June's Patch Tuesday.

Earlier this week, Microsoft also released an emergency out-of-band patch for a critical Windows vulnerability that was being exploited by a fast-spreading virus and other malware. The so-called "shortcut" vulnerability could be used by attackers to take control of a computer with little or no interaction from users.

Permalink to story.

Windows' new name: "Patch Microsoft"! Or so it appears ... they say "for all versions of Windows", makes me wonder what their programmers have been doing for the past 10 years, practicing at our expense? What guarantee is there that these "patches" will work, or are they just another programming experiment that will be left to someone else to "patch" if they don't work (properly)? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, because something is likely to go very wrong! I speak from 23 years experience with M$ products!!

Well, at least the company does not automatically blame the user like some other company I know and rather fix the code quickly when issues come up.

Well, at least the company does not automatically blame the user like some other company I know and rather fix the code quickly when issues come up.

Microsoft aren't that "quick" to sort issues out. ;)

Even when they are, people don't actually do the updates half the time anyway - I'm forever telling my mum and siblings to sort there updates out but they don't bother because they all share a 1.5MB line and it takes too long.

Back