TechSpot

Patent troll litigation totaled $29 billion in 2011, sidetracks innovation

By Shawn Knight
Jun 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new study from Boston University reveals that non-practicing entities, otherwise known as patent trolls, cost the US $29 billion in 2011. Monetary damages aside, the study found that the increasing number of lawsuits is curbing innovation among small and medium-sized companies.

Read more

2. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 241   +31

With any luck, more and more entities will start calling for US patent reform on the basis that patent trolling stifles innovation.

3. I should patent patent trolling and charge other trolls for trolling.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

It appears you have created a new frontier for trolls: meta trolling.

5. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

My level 60 Demon Hunter will take care of those trolls!

6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

..and this is why more and more ventures are heading off shore and the patent system won't change as long as big business has it's hands in politics.

7. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

No guys, it's piracy. They're killing the industry!

Oh wait, wrong industry.

8. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

could've cured hunger world wide for more than 4 years.

9. ramonsterns

You mean for two months.

Frankly, I'd rather fund the colonization of Mars than feed the poor which will only end up asking for more.

10. foreverzero89

no, it'll take only about 8 billion a year to feed the hungry.

11. ramonsterns

8 billion a year down the drain and the second you stop it for whatever reason, you'll be villanized and hated for several decades.

But don't let that stop you, please feel free to start at any time.

12. foreverzero89

ah my bad, I got the figures wrong, it's only about a year. guess how much the world spend on it's military every eight days? thats right, about 29 billion. feeding the hungry is "down the drain"? in what twisted world do live in. im sure that anyone being fed by this wouldn't agree with you.

13. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Plus, colonizing Mars would give U.S. people a great way to get away from the looters now running their government. The patent and copyright trolls are just playing the same games in a smaller way that corporations play when buying politicians. It's about looting, not about contributing or even, for that matter, actually earning anything.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.