Patriot Box Office Media Player Review

Thanks for the great review. I've been interested in these devices for some time though it looks like I'm going to wait awhile longer (until the bugs get worked out) before taking the plunge.

I just purchased one of these and the first thing I did was add a wireless N adapter ($13 - ebay), a 500 GB hard drive and updated it to use the AC Ryan Firmware. I also plugged in an Asus slim external DVD drive and it plays movies just like a DVD player. I'm going to use it on a secondary TV so the kids can access movies from my HTPC plus store movies locally so it's portable. So far it works great.

Does it support Greek subtitles? Also, can you change the subtitles' time offset (in case they aren't synchronized well)?
Can it access YouTube? Is there any SDK available for developers?

I've been using these media players since early 2000's when they are $500 a pop. about a year ago I purchased the ASUS!OPLAY and it's the best thing ever with built in wifi.

Not sure about the WDTV downsizing 1080p content is correct? please check.
This does look good and if it reaches the UK shores at about the £70 mark, say £82 with WIFI then it could be a compelling buy.. I do like the ability to insert a hard **** even with networking. Gigabit WOULD be a lot better as would more memory. Now if B-rad is "incentiviized" to work on their firmware, you could see some real results.

Does it work with Windows Media Streaming feature that I use on my PS3? If so, how does it compare? I find fast-forwarding, even on gigabit, gives an error if 10x FF or above on PS3.

Something it did not play are my miniDV files imported as avi files on a harddrrive....

Nanya NT5TU64M16DG-AC is 1 GB DDR2 not 64 MB as you mention on page 4.

Link : http://www.nanya.com/NanyaAdmin/GetFiles.ashx?ID=485

While for Hynix HY27UF082G2B it has 2 GB Capacity

Link : http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/nand/details/large_11_HY27UF082G2B.jsp?menu1=01&menu2=05&menu3=02&menuNo=1&m=5&s=2

My Patriot Box works great,but forget the rebate that they offer.Oh,I did received a MasterCard rebate card,but it never worked from day one.I tried 3 different stores with the same results.

Have it over a year now and it's a good little player... however it has become very noisy and sometimes won't load up properly, which requires a reboot to sort, I've never been able to copy from my Usb memory key to the harddrive though... maybe a firmware update might sort this?

Overall recommended for great value :)

They don't tell you that it won't play some mkv files until you upgrade the firmware. Connecting this to a Windows 7 network to play files is not possible either. What a pain in the ****!

Back