Patriot launches SandForce-based Inferno SSD range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Patriot today joined the many manufacturers who have recently launched SandForce-based solid-state drives, announcing the availability of its Inferno drives. Armed with the SF-1222 controller, the 2.5-inch SSDs boast maximum read and write rates of 285MB/s and 275MB/s, respectively. Those speeds are increasingly common, as Corsair, OCZ and Mushkin have models with similar, if not identical specs.

As you might expect, both Inferno models feature wear-leveling algorithms courtesy of SandForce DuraClass technology, and they're bundled with a 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch mount for desktop installation. The drives are currently shipping in 100GB and 200GB capacities via your standard e-tailers, including Newegg, who has them in stock for $369 and $679 – quite a bit cheaper than OCZ's Vertex 2.

Of note, Patriot backs the Inferno line with a gracious five-year warranty, whereas most other companies offer three.

Permalink to story.

They might be quite a bit cheaper than OCZz range, but I still can't justify spending $369 on a meagre 100GB.

Everything I've read says that Intel's X25-M G2's are the best in the market, yet drives like this have much higher write speeds. Can anyone give me a brief explanation on what makes intel drives so good, or whether these new generations of Sandforce based SSD's are as good?

prismatics said:
Everything I've read says that Intel's X25-M G2's are the best in the market, yet drives like this have much higher write speeds. Can anyone give me a brief explanation on what makes intel drives so good, or whether these new generations of Sandforce based SSD's are as good?

Intel's random read/writes are much better than most of the competition, which is the most important thing for OS use. The quoted speed is for sequential read/write which only really matters if you copy data to/from the drive all the time. It's kind of the same "headline number" as the number of megapixels for digital cameras, bigger does not always mean better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back