TechSpot

Patriot launches SandForce-based Inferno SSD range

By Matthew
May 14, 2010
  1. Patriot today joined the many manufacturers who have recently launched SandForce-based solid-state drives, announcing the availability of its Inferno drives. Armed with the SF-1222 controller, the 2.5-inch SSDs boast maximum read and write rates of 285MB/s and 275MB/s, respectively. Those speeds are increasingly common, as Corsair, OCZ and Mushkin have models with similar, if not identical specs.

Read the whole story

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

They might be quite a bit cheaper than OCZz range, but I still can't justify spending $369 on a meagre 100GB.

3. SF 1222 contoller or SF 1200 controller??

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

5. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Everything I've read says that Intel's X25-M G2's are the best in the market, yet drives like this have much higher write speeds. Can anyone give me a brief explanation on what makes intel drives so good, or whether these new generations of Sandforce based SSD's are as good?

6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Intel's random read/writes are much better than most of the competition, which is the most important thing for OS use. The quoted speed is for sequential read/write which only really matters if you copy data to/from the drive all the time. It's kind of the same "headline number" as the number of megapixels for digital cameras, bigger does not always mean better.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.