PayPal payments increase 19% on Black Friday

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With the year's busiest shopping days now behind us, early reports on holiday spending are coming out. Although many analysts expect a slow season (especially for tech), it seems sales have been at least mildly positive for e-commerce, with some reporting decent figures for Black Friday.

PayPal for instance witnessed a 27% on-year increase in payment volume on Black Friday and a whopping 310% jump in overall mobile shopping. For comparison's sake, transactions rose 19% over the typical Friday in 2010. Most of that activity occurred between 9AM and 10AM PST.

PayPal partly attributes that increase to the bruised economy. That sounds a little backwards, but PayPal senior director Amanda Pires explains that "the tough economy has made shoppers more price-conscious, and this year's Black Friday results show that they're going online to find the best deals."

Unsurprisingly, the most popular items purchased on eBay (owner of PayPal) included Microsoft's Kinect for the Xbox 360 with an average selling price of $228, as well as Apple's iPad and iPhone 4, which sold for $650 and $724 on average. Did you buy any tech items during Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Permalink to story.

Anyone else notice how old that picture is? That is likely a IBM Thinkpad T4x series laptop, running IE6, I recognize the OLD yahoo IM icon, possibly version 6 or 7, I see a Palm Quicksync tray icon, symantec antivirus (the enterprise version of norton antivirus) tray icon, multiple thinkpad specific tray icons, itunes, the WMP share tray icon, I think a quicktime icon...

Easily fall/winter 2005, considering the canon powershot came out in October of 2005, I almost bought one, but got a dSLR and never looked back lol...

Is it sad I could recognize that much out of the picture?

madboyv1 said:
Is it sad I could recognize that much out of the picture?

Nah, old school > new school. Not when it comes to computers...but life in general.

Per Hansson said:
It's running Windows 2000, yaaaaaay ;)

I thought it was running windows 98, but I've never used 2000 so its possible. One thing I did notice is that it is certified for windows xp (near his wrist, partly covered, next to the intel logo). The battery icon looks nothing like that on windows XP but looks like the one on windows 98 (and maybe 2000).

The guy who bought it didn't like windows XP?!

Back