PC and Xbox 360 versions of Black Ops 2 leaked to torrent sites

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PC and Xbox 360 versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 have been uploaded to torrent sites a full week ahead of the game’s scheduled launch. Some retailers in Europe reportedly broke the street date and sold copies before the official release date which led to premature game play videos and the eventual torrent release.

Early footage shows some campaign play but we’re hearing that most clips showcase the game’s zombie mode. Activision declined to comment on the fact that the street date had been broken but at least one Treyarch employee has spoken out about the whole incident.

black ops treyarch torrents black ops 2

Treyarch game design director David Vonderhaar recently took to Twitter where he said he was glad that people are really excited about the game. He also noted that legit streams were coming up later this week and early next week for those interested in checking out more footage.

A couple of hours earlier, he jokingly said that if people are going to live-stream the game early (which he didn’t exactly recommend), they should at least be good at it. It’s good to see that at least some people still have a sense of humor about things like this.

The latest release in the Call of Duty franchise is scheduled for release on November 13. Last year’s title, Modern Warfare 3, shattered one-day entertainment sales records and managed to generate more than $1 billion in revenue in just 16 days. It remains to be seen if Black Ops 2 can come close to that level of success or perhaps top it.

Permalink to story.

No sooner than this was posted, the video has been taken down.... sad... because I had it loaded and accidentally F5'd... and boom, no longer there.

I don't think, in my lifetime, I have seen a game repackaged so many times with so little change to the final product. But don't worry, millions of kiddies with cheesy fingers and mom's creditcard are eagerly awaiting this game.

I don't think, in my lifetime, I have seen a game repackaged so many times with so little change to the final product. But don't worry, millions of kiddies with cheesy fingers and mom's creditcard are eagerly awaiting this game.

Sad that bf3 started doing the same thing.

The ppl I feel bad for is the stores that broke street date. This is a very important issue. When I worked as a manager at GameCrazy, if you broke a street date by selling the game early, the next day you were fired. I know exactly how they will find the stores that broke street date. They will comb their database and see if the SKU for the game was put on a register. Then they will ask all stores to perform a live hand count. Then once they find the manager/employees who sold it they will fine them roughly $25,000. Thats the fine the game companies charge. Then which ever parent company whos store sold it will recieve a $50,000 fine and lose the ability to recieve any games early.

Such a crappy game like this.. I'd honestly go play L4D2 or something if I want zombies. It's really a horrible thing, seeing the game repackaged constantly. Why update a huge amount, when kids will play it regardless? Oh it got maybe a few tweaks and weapons, most of the time it was polished to look better. That's about it really, there's other good games out there.

Problem is kids feel this is the best game ever. Trash talking and acting all cool, while they clearly don't know good games. I was literally watching someone well known playing Doom, kids in the room said CoD was way better. I honestly laughed at that, because without Doom and such. Where would CoD even be?

Possibly some tabletop style Risk copycat for all we know. Under some other unknown name, because we all know original ideas are never cool. It's better to re-badge the same crap, put a new name on it and expect $60+ for it. Especially on such an aging console market? I'd gladly pay $20 at most.

The ppl I feel bad for is the stores that broke street date. This is a very important issue. When I worked as a manager at GameCrazy, if you broke a street date by selling the game early, the next day you were fired. I know exactly how they will find the stores that broke street date. They will comb their database and see if the SKU for the game was put on a register. Then they will ask all stores to perform a live hand count. Then once they find the manager/employees who sold it they will fine them roughly $25,000. That's the fine the game companies charge. Then which ever parent company who's store sold it will receive a $50,000 fine and lose the ability to receive any games early.

I take it that all companies would take note of that, and basically exclude them from any early copies? I'm just asking since really, that's a serious fine honestly. Not to mention could be out a ton of games early, because they can't be trusted to not break rules.

I'm sure a few are reading that bit of info would be like "Who cares if x store gets the new game, from x company early when it's crap?" Just you never know.. something seriously good might be released. Then you'll be at a loss of sales, because you simply broke the rules.

Man I wouldnt waste my time downloading this garbage. On top of that to play it on a crapbox really? Maybe If I was 12 yeh. The PC version is a laughable port at best. Gimme a break... back to BF3 on PC at 2560 x 1600 with my 2 GTX 680 4gb cards....Black ops 2 lol really. LOL

blue
I can only speak to what GameCrazy had to deal with. And those fines were accurate. It is all about trust. Everytime there was a midnight sale, a few stores would be found to have broken the street date. Those store managers were fired and the sales rep selling the game was fired. They even had a few stores shutdown because of it.

Let's hope it doesn't suck as much as Black Ops 1 .. That was truly a terrible experience.

GameCrazy doesnt even exist anymore as Hollywood Video its parent company is gone.

As for the fines, I only ever heard of a $10,000 fine for breaking a street date but that could have gone up since I havent worked for a game company since '06. I have also never heard of employees actually being fired. Yes it's possible but not likely in most cases. BestBuy didnt fire its employees when they broke street date. Hell they just celebrated with the money they made. I know they broke street date of Star Wars Battlefront II back in the day.

Alot of game stores have broke street date but nothing really ever happens. Games are hardly ever pulled, employees are rarely fired and what really happens is that the publisher and retail store work out most of the details before the game is even gone to the stores but when one breaks a street date im sure it gets dealt with but not to the extreme as some may think.

*Also a game can have a stop sale like Sears has. U cant even buy a game or tv for that matter if there is a stop sale on it. If game stores dont have that(I believe most dont) then that is on them for allowing some 16 yr old to sell a game before it comes out. That's why I dont see ppl getting fired or anythig else. All this is accounted for as they know mistakes happen. Ive even seen store managers ask to sell a street dated game from their DM and was told go ahead as that person got either approval from corporate or simply because they knew they could make alot of money selling the game in that area before the competetion.

I dont know what places are receiving these fines but its definitely not here in nyc. These little mom and pop stores have been selling games and movies early for few years now and they never get caught. Its become the normal routine I guess major retailers get the fines if they do.

Reasons I will not be getting Blops 2: Nuketown Nuketown Nuketown Nuketown Nuketown Nuketown. I'm so utterly sick of the one of most overplayed maps ever. Don't get me wrong, I loved it at first like most people but enough is enough. RC cars and Second Chance also constantly ruin this game for me. I can't play Blops 1 for more than 20 minutes without being completely pissed off to the point where I have to play something else or walk outside to calm down. The servers are TERRIBLE especially in zombies. I rarely ever get a game where I have all 4 bars of connection anymore. It's pretty much always 3 and the other team usually gets all 4 bars when I play. I just don't understand why this happens when I know my connection is fine, and works great for other games.

Sad that bf3 started doing the same thing.

Honestly, I really haven't seen a BF4 yet...
Battlefield is pretty good about getting a few years out of a product while completely redeveloping the engine to give a completely new experience. The jump between BC2 and BF3 was quite drastic. I was very pleased and I'm happy that they aren't rushing BF4

Battlefield is pretty good about getting a few years out of a product while completely redeveloping the engine to give a completely new experience. The jump between BC2 and BF3 was quite drastic. I was very pleased and I'm happy that they aren't rushing BF4

Same, I just hope EA don't force Dice to rush it out the door for a quick buck, Battlefield 2 lasted ages before BF3 came out, I hope they start to develop other games with new engines such as maybe a Bad Company 3? then learn from it and make BF4.

Thank you sir. I love this series but black ops seemed to have glitchy movement and terrible lag. Bring back the dedicated server. COD4 had it and was the smoothest game out there.

Back