PC bluescreens

Hi all,
well basically i was browsing and a virus of some sort came onto my pc, was some register fixer software. At first i tried to remove it but it took a while to find the actual ffile to remove from my pc, as it would not uninstall or even end process.

To be on the safe side i decided to do a system restore. So basically the computer restarts but after the initial start-up screen it just goes blank.

Several restarts later it blue-screens everytime. Ive tried entering safe mode but i still get the same result.

I also tried reformatting but it dosent get to that point as the screen goes blank and again bluescreens.

What do i do? Its a friends computer and i cant for the life of me figure it out. please help!

Hi,

could you re-start the computer and give us the BSOD code thats on the screen?

For example the following is BSOD Code

STOP 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Thanks

James

If you were infected there is a good chance you still are.

We strongly suggest going to our Virus and Malware Removal forum, read the Updated 8 Steps sticky, and if you can follow it step by step; don't skip any steps.

When you finish the steps then post on that forum with the three required logs. You'll get excellent help.

If you were infected there is a good chance you still are.

We strongly suggest going to our Virus and Malware Removal forum, read the Updated 8 Steps sticky, and if you can follow it step by step; don't skip any steps.

When you finish the steps then post on that forum with the three required logs. You'll get excellent help.

But if he has a BSOD and can't get to the desktop how can he run any antivirus software or TFC etc???

I assume he cant get into safe mode either

yeah i have the BSoD tech info here:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

neary sure thats it, i double-checked the zero's so hopefully right amount (hard to read it :p)

any ideas?

I am in agreement with jamesodriscoll that if you can't boot into your system a reformat may be in the works. However, let's try the following from a diagnostics perspective. Both of following will not require you to load to the desk top but actually take over right after boot-up.

First, run memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Second, run a harddrive diagnostics. Find the make of your harddrive, go to the manufacture's website and down load and burn to a CD their free Harddrive Diagnostic Utility. Place CD in drive, boot up, and you should be able to run the tests. Make sure you run the long one.

Thanks for the BSOD Code

Breaking it down

0x0000007B
means that when the PC is starting UP windows has lost the access to the SYSTEM or BOOT VOLUME (boot hard drive) when loading.

0xC0000034
means that the boot drives may be a) defective OR b) storage related drives or programs may not be compatible with windows XP.

If we consider you just ran a Registry Fixer Software on the PC i think its safe to assume that the drives are probably NOT defective but is in fact related to b) storage related drives or programs may not be compatible with windows XP.

Do you know what Registry Fixer Program you ran on your PC?
Do you have another disk drive that you could plug into you PC in which to run along side your exisitng HDD?

James

Second, run a harddrive diagnostics. Find the make of your harddrive, go to the manufacture's website and down load and burn to a CD their free Harddrive Diagnostic Utility. Place CD in drive, boot up, and you should be able to run the tests. Make sure you run the long one.

This is a good idea as you wont need to boot into windows to run this or the MEMTEST. nice shout Route44 why didn i think of that? :p

james

Back