PC build need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

drneves7

UPDATED: have all the parts picked out :D

Ok got all the parts picked out scroll down and check em out. Thanks for the input I got guys. Just need to know if this is all going to be compatible.

Thanks a bunch Dominic

If you want to run Crossfire later, you will have to get a motherboard that supports it with two PCI-E slots, not PCI slots.

You left the operating system out of your budget. That costs money too. Which one do you want to install? Also, what about optical drives?

Replace the HSF with this and use the extra cash (if you want) to get the GA-EP45-UD3P for Crossfire.

And ditch the Rosewill case + PSU combo. Go with an Antec Three Hundred or Nine Hundred instead and buy a PSU separately.

If you want to go Crossfire, go with the Corsair 650TX. If not, the Corsair 450VX or the Antec EA500 will be sufficient. If you can't afford the latter two, the OCZ StealthXStream 500SXS is a great and cheaper choice.

Thanks for the replies I am going to update this some in the morning. Yea after talking to a friend and learning a little more about Crossfire and SLI I will be picking a new MOBO.

I will probably be going with either the antec 300 or 900 I have to look at the three hundred.

I didn't include the optical because it is so cheap. I will pick one out was I have the hard parts figured out.

So any suggestions on a Mobo preferably in the 150 dollar or less range that supports Crossfire prefer an Asus but open to others? I am not afraid to spend more but if it is not necessary I do not want to.

And any suggestions on GPU's a single good one or two decent ones what ever you think is best. Right now I am not doing anything to demanding just playing WoW and such but I am going to school for computers and I am sure I will be doing much more demanding things with time to come.

Thanks Dominic

Pick up at 4870 1Gb version, or a 9800gtx, those should hold you over for a while, and would suffice for WoW np

The GA-EP45-UD3P and P5Q Pro are good choices for a Crossfire-based system. You can't go wrong with either.

So here is the what I have in the cart.

GA-EP45-UD3P 136.99 - (20 rebate)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler 53.99

2x SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 166.99 - (10 mail in rebate) each (not sure if I am going to run 2 or not if not the other is going in GF's PC

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 69.99

2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1066 72.99 - (30.00 mail in rebate) each

Antec Signature SG650 650W ATX12V & Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel COMBO deal 269.98

Antec 761345-75121-6 120mm Case Fan - Retail 12.99 (how many fans do I need?)

ASUS Black Sata dvd burner with Lite Scribe 29.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders 99.99

Okay I think I got it all in there. Let me know if I will have any compatibility problems or if there is anywhere that I can cut the fat.

Thanks a BUNCH
Dominic

(how many fans do I need?)[/COLOR]

The Antec Nine Hundred (well mine did) comes with the 200mm fan up top, two 120mm fans at the front and one 120mm rear fan.

If you are buying extra fans the case can accommodate two more 120mm fans, one on the side panel and one with some bracket thing one the internal side of one of the hard drive bays.

Personally I would only get one additional fan and put it on the side panel.

I say "(well mine did)" because I saw somewhere else someone modding an Antec Nine Hundred whose came with black fans as opposed to mine coming with clear fans. So there has obviously been at least one revision to the case.

Apart from that it all looks good. But are you going with 2x 4GB RAM kits? So a total of 8GBs of RAM? That sounds like overkill to me!

Again, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 I linked to earlier is a far superior and cheaper alternative to the CNPS9700. If you want, you can also spend the same amount you'd spend on the Zalman cooler and get the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme. It's the best air cooler out there right now.

As for the cards, go with the 512MB version.

And the case + PSU combo looks very expensive. Buy the case separately from here and get this modular PSU. It'll save you almost $100.

PC is running just installing drivers and all of that good stuff. The sun, moon and stars lined up for me today. I went to the local pc store just to price compare and see what kind of deal they would be willing to make. So I start talking to a sales rep and this older gentleman buts in and makes us both look a fool been building pc's since the first pc. So he basically walked me through getting all the different stuff I needed and not only that explained to me why I need this and why I can forgo that. I am way to tired to post the specs right now but all I have to say is this is my first build and it runs I couldn't be happier.

Had to have a couple beers though to get the guts to hit the power button :D

Once again my friends on tech spot thanks for all the great input.

Dominic

Congratulations on getting it up and running. Add the system specs to your profile when you can.

On a side note if you did you with the Antec Nine Hundred case you might want to consider some filters for the fans. Mine collects dust inside quite rapidly, but that might just be the room I have mine in.

If you are interested there is a guide to installing filters on the fans for the Antec Nine Hundred here on Tech Reports forums

Good idea on the sig there. I went with the 300 and love it. I highly recommend it. Crossing my fingers so far smooth sailing and loving it.

Dominic.

Specs

Case: Antec 300 (love it! If you are not looking for a flashy case this is the way to go, well built and lots of room inside. Everything fit smoothly and this is no mid tower like it says. Oh no sharp edges to cut yourself on.)

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (overclocked to 3.4....so far)

Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

GPU: HIS Hightech H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 (comes overclocked)

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler (was a little hard to install but man it keeps that CPU cool)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back