PC build. What's your opinion?

By Iakouben
Jul 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm off to university this year to study computer engineering and I'm building a PC to use for my studies and gaming. I didn't set myself a budget, since I'm not likely going to be upgrading from this set-up any time soon. I want to ask you guys for your opinions on the parts and whether I should use something else from what I wrote up.

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T (white)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
    Processor: Intel core i7 3770K - 3.50GHz 4 cores
    -CPU cooling: Noctua NH-C14
    Graphics: eVGA GeForce GTX680 SC
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz (four module kit)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm (x2)
    Solid State Drive: Samsung series 830 256GB
    CD Drive: External
    PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX1050

Screen: Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D 27" 2560x1440
    Keyboard: Azio Levetron Mach 5
    Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 9
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,455   +288

Looks good to me, I'm sure some others will be able to comment more directly about your vid card and motherboard.

But speaking from experience, as a college student (for many years) , you will probably want more storage space. You will 'acquire' a lot of things, and those things take space. 1 TB doesn't mean a whole lot anymore when there are 16GB HD movies to obtain...

You have a SSD, but then a Caviar Black... Why? That is a fast traditional hd, and it is expensive. You have the SSD for speed, take the money for the Black and put it to a bigger, but slower, traditional.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.