TechSpot

PC can't find hard drives

By jeffstan
Jan 30, 2009
  1. Hello everyone,
    i came back here because you guys were so helpful when i had a problem with a virus.
    but now i have another problem i was hoping you might be able to help me with.
    two days ago my computer stopped recognizing my hard drives. everything was working fine the night before. i shut off the computer. didn't see any error messages or anything. then the next day when i go to turn it on. it gives me this error.

"Hardware initiate failed, please check device!!!
    The Bios be not installed, press <g> to continue!"

I've never seen this before. i have two hard drives installed on my PC and it won't find either one. when i press "G" it jumps to another screen telling me i have no hard drives and that i need to reboot.
    i checked the BIOS by pressing "delete" at start up and i can't see the hard drives in there at all. and i tried booting with the Win XP cd so i could try a repair. but it also says i have no hard drive and won't let me do a repair or anything.

i'm not super computer savvy. so i'm not sure what else to try. i checked all the cables and they all seem fine. (they are SATA connections i believe)
    anyway, i was wondering you guys had any help or suggestions i could try. Thanks you very much.

-jeff

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

Try booting into Safe Mode and then use System Restore to go back to a previous save point.

3. jeffstan

jeffstan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

oh yeah, i might not have mentioned that before. i can't boot up the computer past the intial screen where it looks for the hard drives. so i can't get into safe mode or do anything in the OS.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.