PC case broken need some questions anwserd :( HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosgothhunter

hi :)
A few days ago I broke the door off my pc tower case :( now its just hanging so i think its time for a new case :)

My homtherboard is Nforce4-a939, I understand about the PCi slots and all that but I need a few questions anwserd. :)

1: Will any case do? as long as its big enough for the mother board and has all the right PCI slots and room for cd-roms/hard drives etc :)

2: how easy is it to unscrew everything and transplant it into the new case?

3: Can i use the power supply i have now in the new case?

thanks muchly love adam :D....

1. makesure to get a full ATX case here are some links.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811195023
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133174
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068

2. it is easy but may take 2 hours + if your inexperienced.

3. Yes but I recomend you post the specs of your Powersupply so we can tell weather or not it is time to replace that also. Post the watts and amps so we can help you with that. Also post the brand of the powersupply.

1 - You did not provide the name and specs of your motherboard/PSU, but most computers use an ATX Mid-Tower case, so make sure you look for those key words. You would also want the case to look good for a low price, so see which products are aesthetically appealing to you.

2 - I have not done that before, and don't plan to unless for a new build. It should be quite easy, but I don't look forward to ever doing it. This is because of the wiring. For me, I have slaved for a long time to get the power supply wires and IDE/SATA wires crammed into a few corners of the case, to allow better airflow and to look good from the outside of my clear-sided case. It should take no more than an hour or two, since all you're doing is securing hardware with screws.

3 - Yes, but if your power supply has been used for a long time, then it will start to lose its initial wattage. The power supply is one of the most important parts to replace once in a while, so make sure you are getting enough power.

1. check the new case to see if it has the number of slots and components and space for your old parts. Most will. More than likely your motherboard is an ATX format board.
2. Easy to unscrew, easy to jack things up. GROUND YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES to avoid static discharge. and Yes UNPLUG the PSU.
3. You can reuse your old power supply. If it more than 2 years old, consider replacing it. PSUs age.

Tedster said:
GROUND YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES to avoid static discharge. and Yes UNPLUG the PSU.
I think keeping the PSU plugged to a wall would help as it would ground the case properly (depending, of course, on the wall socket type). It just needs to be turned off.

All your questions are pretty well answered although I would like to add that you can get very nice psu/case combo's for a fraction of the price you would pay normally.

Something like the Antec sonata II case with 450Watt smartpower PSU is a great case at a great price.

Regards,

Korrupt

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I think keeping the PSU plugged to a wall would help as it would ground the case properly (depending, of course, on the wall socket type). It just needs to be turned off.
nope- then it becomes a safety issue.

Ground the case by running a free wire to a cold water pipe.

The most important thing so far: remember, there are risers you need to put in before putting your mobo into your new case.

CMH said:
The most important thing so far: remember, there are risers you need to put in before putting your mobo into your new case.

and makesure you only use standoffs in the holes you need as useing standoffs in unused holes under the motherboard can cause shorts and not useing them at all will almost defently cause shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back