PC compatibility check

Acer S220HQLBD 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $129.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Sharkoon T9 Value Red Case USB 3.0 [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $65.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
ASUS GeForce GT 640 2GB [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $129.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $139.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $115.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $109.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24xDVDRW OEM [FONT=Arial]Due 11/07/12[/FONT] $29.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Intel Core i7 2600K [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $325.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance Motherboard [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $185.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $115.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $105.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CPU Cooler [FONT=Arial]Due 10/07/12[/FONT] $39.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $35.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Retail Pack [FONT=Arial]In stock[/FONT] $239.00 [CENTER][/CENTER]

I'm new to this sort of thing (presumably obviously) but I'm just looking to build a decent gaming computer - decent basically meaning pretty fast with good graphics and lots of space. I don't have too much of a budget, I'd like to stick somewhere around the $2000 mark.
If any of you have any suggestions or whatnot as to how I can improve my rig please let me know!
I'm looking to buy all my gear on pccasegear.com.

Get the 2500K or 3570K instead of the 2600K, the premium you're paying for hyperthreading is not worth it for a gaming computer. You should be getting a much better graphics card instead, e.g. GTX 570 or Radeon 7850/7870.

Get the OEM version of Windows 7, it saves you a LOT of money. Also $100 is a lot to spend on a membrane keyboard, unless you need the LCD display you might want to look into a mechanical keyboard.

Hi! I notice you're using PCCG to buy your rig. I was gonna use them but ended up using MSY (also in aus, and cheaper than PCCG)
If I may say a few things,
firstly I second what slh28 said, don't bother getting a Sandy 2600K. If you want to be gaming, look at the 3570K or the 2500K, which are $245 and $220 respectively. (if I were you I'd go with the 3570K because it performs better than the 2500K, and it's a better architecture)
anyhow if you don't plan on OC'ing then just go with the 3550 which (still) performs marginally better than the 2500K.
apart from that, I notice you could cut a few corners here and there to upgrade you graphics card, since the GT 640 is not very good for high-end gaming (performing around the same as a HD6670).
If you wouldn't mind, I edited your list a tad, just balancing parts out a bit.

(you'll need to be logged into your PCCG account to view this)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=74625&action=wish_lists

REASONING:
OK, as you may notice I changed quite a few things.

Firstly, the CPU I switched from the 2600K to the 3570K. simply because the 3570K performs better in gaming and general usage, all the while being around $80 cheaper. I think you'd be happier with the 3570K in the long run since it's intel's newest architecture (ivy bridge) and you wouldn't be needing to upgrade for a fair few years.

next, I switched the graphics card from the GT640 to the ASUS GTX560Ti.
This way, you retain your lovely red&black colour theme, and triple your video performance.

next, I switched CPU coolers from the Arctic to the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, simply because the CM is highly regarded as one of (if not) the best semi-budget air coolers on the market. I beleive it would perform marginally better than the Arctic, and for around the same price.

next, I switched SSD's from the intel to the corsair force series 120GB. it's only around 20 bucks more, but it performs extremely well, plus it suits your red & black colour scheme.

next, switched from the WD caviar green to the seagate barracuda 2TB. I didn't have to do this, I just happen to regard Seagate barracudas over the WD caviar green. just a personal preference though, feel free to ignore it and stick with the WD.

next, I switched the case from the Sharkoon to the Coolermaster HAF XM. this is a mid-tower version of the HAF-X, one of the best gaming cases on the market in terms of cooling, cable management, and features. It does set you back a few more bucks than the budget sharkoon, but it's well worth it.

next, I downgraded your RAM from 16 GB to 8GB.
this is only because 16GB is MONSTROUS. you will never ever EVER fill 16GB if you're not running any insanely high RAM taxing programs.
Right now, I have 8 tabs of google chrome open, skyrim, and music playing. with my 8GB, it only put the RAM under 45% meaning out of my 8GB, I still have around 4 whole GB of RAM to fill. now with 16GB I consider that extremely Overkill. plus this way you save a good $70.

next, I switched your Power supply from the OCZ to the Antec HCG 620W modular. simply because Antec>OCZ in terms of reliability and stability. (not hating on OCZ, have had great history with their products, I'm just stating facts.)

I think that's just about all the changes I made.
If you actually read all of this, I take off my hypothetical hat to you, well done.
please note I am not telling you to do anything, I am just suggesting a few changes which would make your PC better in terms of general use & gaming.

if anyone else would like to contribute, please do, since this took over half an hour to write (including making the new list) and I'm too lazy to proofread.

if anyone else would like to contribute, please do, since this took over half an hour to write (including making the new list) and I'm too lazy to proofread.

Good work, a lot of good suggestions there which I didn't have half an hour to list ;)

The only thing which I don't quite agree with is the SSD. I would only go for Intel, Crucial or Samsung drives. Corsair make excellent products generally but their Force SSDs use the Sandforce controller which isn't the best out there (Intel drives also use SF but they have Intel's own firmware). The Corsair Performance Pro is probably the best SSD out there but costs a lot and isn't really worth it.

Thanks for your replies!
I did read all of your post, xcylent, thank you for taking time to help me!
I made quite a few changes to my setup before I even came to read these replies, but a lot of it was what I had already adjusted as per other suggestions from other forums. I hadn't heard of MSY though, so I'll have to do a bit of price comparing.
So I've dropped the triple monitor idea, changed the CPU and motherboard, downgraded the RAM, upgraded the graphics and changed PSU and the cooler. I also switched to the OEM Windows. My setup now is as follows -

MONITOR: Acer V273HL 27in Widescreen LED Monitor
CASE: Sharkoon T9 Value Red Case USB 3.0
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
GRAPHICS: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
POWER SUPPLY: Antec Power Supply HCG-620
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD
COOLING: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
OD: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24xDVDRW OEM
MOUSE: Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse
KEYBOARD: Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard

I couldn't bear to change the case, even though the CoolerMaster does look nice... I really dig the Sharkoon casing. The CoolerMaster is significantly more expensive for what it is, also, which is a factor. I also chose to keep the Intel SSD and the WD Green HDD..
All in all, pretty satisfied with this rig... Unless anyone has anymore suggestions that could help me cut cost etc?

That looks like an awesome build, the GTX 670 will tear through any game at single screen resolutions.

If you like the Sharkoon case then get it, aesthetics are just as important as any spec for cases.

I'd still read up on mechanical keyboards though...

The latest system is very nice. Good choice with PSU as well, runs Seasonic internals that does. I have one in my main PC myself and couldn't be happier with it (although mines non-modular).

Back