PC crashes randomly, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my PC in the last few months. It restarts randomly approx twice a day. I've had this problem once before but thought it was resolved (program conflict, but now has resurfaced.

Since behaviour is exactly the same as the first time I had the problem, I'm pretty sure its a program conflict again. I've got a minidump that I can post if someone could please offer to help me read one and root out the causing conflict??

Thanks so much!

First domyue,
update you user profile by listing your hardware specs and your location in this World.

Open the case and make sure all the dust and dirt is removed. Make sure that the fans are running normally and that they are clean. After doing this, swap out the power supply. Also turn off automatic restart by going into Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings and uncheck that box

OK, the fans work fine and there wasnt much dust. I've turned off auto-restart setting.

I've also updated my profile. Would you like to see my minidump as well?

Thanks for your help!

Are you running XP? What country or state are you located? I really don't think this is a software/program conflict.

and yes, post your minidump

Yes XP SP2. Located in UK.

The last time I had this same problem, it was a conflict with my antivirus and something else. (And the error code points to a driver issue apparently)

Anyhow, this is the minidump.

Well finally, thanks for the info... The minidump points to a "Hardware" error. I would suspect that your hard drive may be failing. Back up your important stuff and test the drive

could also be blown capacitors on the motherboard. This was the exact same problem my friend had and I am also staring to get it.

I have also used acronis, as it was recommended to me here on TS. However, If you have norton ghost and know how to use it, just go with it.

Ghost is clumbsy and awkward to use and restoring the backups are somewhat risky... but as Ph30nIX said, if you have it and know how to use it, go with it

Just to add to TMagics post, most Hard drive manufacturer have their own tools to test hard drives, so check out their site as well.

I usually try to find the hard drive's manufacturer's site, but actually Seagates Seatools and DiscWizard will work fine on any hard drive

I have a maxtor sata drive (bought before they merged with seagate). Will the seagate tools work completely 100% with my "old" maxtor then??

Also, can secondary (i.e. NON-boot) harddrives cause these crashes?? Cos i have a slave drive thats pretty old...

Yes, old secondary hard drive can cause this... Seagates Seatools and Discwizard will work on any drive

ahhhhh I see - i think I'll have to back up both drives and test them.

Will the seagate drive tester pick out problems 100% of the time??

And how big are the acronis backup files...cos if it copies the WHOLE drive, doesnt that mean I need another harddrive to just store the backup????

Thanks again guys

No, with acronis you can chose what files you backup, even by their file extension which makes it quite a useful tool.

On my 76gb hdd with 50gb used, the backup was only 2gb or so which was system files and my documents.

And it also lets you backup to a network location (which is what i did) so size wasnt such an issue.

what if I wanted to backup the ENTIRE drive - will it take much more than a few gigs??

How does it compress files so much!???

Oh and guys, I've recently gotten a 0x0000008e stop message - doesnt that signify a driver conflict?? I've been told that in all the sites I went to regarding that code.

Could you please take another look at my latest minidump. I will nonetheless backup everything and check my HD + RAM. But wondering what is the driver issue anyway.

Thanks again.

The reason it is so small because 30gb is music, 10gb is games, then theres another 16gb shared between OS, other programs and documents including videos. I made it backup files such as .DOC word files, pictures and ESSENTIAL system files. That is all, making it so small.

Acronis can also backup the whole drive, but you must have the space to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back