TechSpot

PC crashes/reboots itself, I need professional help...

By Danascus
Oct 29, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My PC has been acting very annoying lately, here are my specs...

P4 3.2G
    2G RAM
    P4P800-SE mobo
    GeForce 6800 256 megs w/Silencer 4 attached
    SB Audigy 4 soundcard
    550W PSU
    Windows XP w/ all updates

Latly my windows explorer and MS Outlook have been crashing, and now my pc reboots itself when trying to load Everquest 2. EQ2 used to run w/o any issues, and I had Nortons Utility/Antivirus until it started screwing up in me, so yesterday I uninstalled it and am now using PC Pitstop, AVG antivirus, and Zonealarm. I also updated to the 91.47 forceware driver for my vidcard. I have attached all the mini dumps I have received for today, so what is on it is all current.

Attached Files:

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

You've got two anti-virus programs running - AVG and CA Anti-Virus. You'll have to uninstall one of them to see if that's the problem.

3. Danascus

Danascus TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

the only anti-virus program that I have is AVG, don't see a CA av prog anywhere on the last dump.

4. peterdiva

I've marked the files in the attached text file of the dump, the info that I found was that they belong to CA Anti-Virus.

Attached Files:

5. Danascus

ok, i have found the files on my pc, I do use PC Pitstop from the company CA, is it part of the prog? if not, how do I get rid of the files?

6. peterdiva

From the limited info I could find, the files belong to eTrust EZ Antivirus. Check the Add or Remove programs list for an entry.

THIS was about the best info to confirm what the files belong to.

7. Danascus

I think I found the source of the AV program, I just started to use ZoneAlarm, I will uninstall it and see I f can reinstall w/o the av prog, but I was having these issues before I installed it, but will see what effect it has once I do this.

8. Danascus

Ok, uninstalled zonealarm, reinstalled it and left the antivirus part of the program disabled. Now it looks like the issue is still nv4_disp.dll, which is video I believe. Any ideas on how to fix it?

9. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

update drivers?

10. Danascus

yes, vid drivers are updated, I uninstalled them through add/remove programs, then deleted nvidia folder, then uninstalled from device manager, then used driver cleanup pro, then rebooted, then reinstalled.

11. peterdiva

Three of the dumps point to a memory problem, run Memtest86+ to test your RAM, or you can try running only one stick at a time.

This error can apply to any memory in your system, including video memory.

12. Danascus

memtest is getting errors, will get back with results

13. Danascus

first stick of ram: Test 1- 2043 errors, test 2 - 24526 errors, test 4 - 10633 errors, test 5 - 9798 errors, test 7 - 16015 errors, test 8 - 2048 errors

14. Danascus

yup, so far it looks like the first stick I tested was a bad stick, no errors on the second one i am running, so it looks like my problem may be solved, will boot up and test games after second test.

15. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Yes.. do that.. and please utilize the edit button also..

16. Danascus

sorry about that, it was the bad RAM stick, I thank everyone who helped me on this issue

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.