PC crashes while playing games - iXtreme X9610

I've had this problem for a while: playing a game (such as mass effect or eve online), then suddenly the screen goes blank (saying that there is no input) and the sound crashes. I have read around the subject and i see quite a few other users of the same pc having the same problem.

tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283025-10-crash-freeze

This thread here explains my exact problem. What i have done to try and remedy the problem:
-Purchase a 500W PSU from novatech (novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/powersupplies/novatech/nov-psu500.html)
-Run the installed Memory Diagnostic tool on vista (no errors found, despite the crashes being blamed on faulty RAM in a similar thread)
-Fiddled around inside my pc (thought that it might be faulty wiring/dust/RAM not installed properly, but to no avail)

And the crashes still occur. Seems to only happen when i play on higher resolutions, but seriously, i have a decent pc and if it cant handle more than 800x600 without crashing what am i to do? The FPS is fine!

Any suggestions? It could be a faulty GPU but the problem seems more widespread for that to be likely.

I do suspect the MOBO of being faulty, but i cant seem to find what it is, and packard bell dont sell this model any more so i cant find it on their website.

Please help, im starting to get annoyed with this and that window is starting to look like an easy escape...

It could be your video card drivers. See if this helps:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Also, how are your temperatures?

Hi JTB,
glad you got your machine sorted out. Could I ask if you could help me out please with a problem with a Packard Bell Ixtreme X9610?
I need a picture if at all possible of the area where the cables all plug into the motherboard near the USB headers and the front panel connectors.
I am trying to re connect the cables to the motherboard and I never dismantled the machine, i've just got to put it all bacjk together.
Would you be able to send me a picture of this area of your motherboard please?

Edit: Not to worry JTB, I have got it sorted now thanks, sorry for wasting your time.

Back