PC Crashing when game boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decka17

Hi everyone. I have a problem concerning a BSOD when any game (or 3D application) starts up, where a few seconds after I start the game/application, windows shuts down and a BSOD displays, stating there is a

'page_fault_in_nonpaged_area'

which results in my computer being restarted after a count reaches 100 for deleting physical memory.

I have recently made some major upgrades, which is when the problem started. I installed a new mobo, video card (as old mobo had onboard video and no PCI-e slots), and a gig of RAM.
Since the problem I have bought a new PSU and another gig of RAM to replace the other stick I bought to check if it was faulty.

My Specs (since upgrade)
Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
Windows XP Home SP2
Kingston DDR2 2GB 800Mhz
Asus EN8800GT
Gigabyte P31-DS3L
Antec NeoPower 550W PSU
Western Digital IDE 160GB 7200RPM HDD

Nothing is overclocked.
I didn't reformat after I installed all the new parts, rather removed all the old drivers beforehand and installed the new ones after.

What I've tried?
Ruled out PSU and RAM problems. Thats...about it :p

Another note:
Interestingly, games DO work (at least Steam ones) when I set them to launch windowed and at 800 x 600 resolution. Anything higher results in the aforementioned BSOD.

Next thing I'm considering is to reformat, it's been suggested by a few people but not by others...

No other crashes experienced, everything's been scanned for viruses and the such, and when playing games in the windowed mode the performance, etc isn't too bad.

Think that's it... any help appreciated!

Why haven't you tried anything else? You don't have to look far to find information on debugging this problem. Typing 'page_fault_in_nonpaged_area' into google yields many many results. Here's a techspot one

Nobody is going to be able to just give you the answer, you have to put some effort in.

I've searched Google. Everything points to RAM, which I'm certain is fine in my case, and others point to 'other faulty hardware'. The TechSpot one points to program issues, but I obviously already know the program that causes my BSOD. I have no idea how to read the memory dump files to find a driver or anything that causes this...

So just asking for any advice or ideas on what hardware it may be if its a hardware issue, or anything else software related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back