Pc Crashing When Playing Games I.e Shutting Down Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajinder2001

My system is randomly shutting down and i need some help.

My current system is:

* 2 LG DVD DUAL LAYER RAM DRIVE

* 1 FLOPPY DRIVE

* SLI ASUS 6600GT 256MB

* 1 GIG CORSEAIR RAM

* 300 GIG SATA HDD

* 4 CHASSIS FANS

* AMD 64 3200+ PROCESSOR

* ASUS EXTREME 6600GT 256MB SLi

THE TEMP IS AVERAGING OUT ON AROUND 35 TO 44 DEGREES

IT HAS GOT A 350 PSU IS THIS ENOUGH OR SHOULD I GET SOMETHING MORE POWEFULL?

THIS IS GETITNG REALY ANNOYING AND I NEED TO SORT THIS PROBLEM.

DO YOU THINK I NEED TO CHANGE THE PSU. OR THE GRAPHICS CARD IS OVER HEATING?

PLEASE HELP AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE SIZE OF THIS I AM REALLY GETTIN ****ED OFF NOW

I reckon you definitely need a bigger psu to run this sort of rig with all the fans and 2 chunky graphics cards - 500W at least

And You Do Not Think That The Graphics Card Is Not Over Heating?

I Am Only Currently Running One Of Them Cards.

Do You Think I Need A New Psu If Yes What One Do You Recomend?

FOr a system that is 3 times better than mine (oh mine IS good) you do need a bigger PSU. May I suggest something around the lines of 400-500 watt? The problem with alot of ignorant buyers is they reckon they can go with a cheap PSU. WRONG.

If the graphics card is overheating it normally shows artifacts on the display like incorrectly coloured / shaped polygons / graphical distortions, and then shuts down the computer, in my experience it does not shut down automatically. You could try the other card and see if the overheating persists, just to make sure. If it does you could be pretty certain then that the problem is not with a graphics card.

To me, it sounds like a psu problem but i may be wrong. I'm having problems with my computer shutting down while playing certain games, and i think i've narrowed it down to an issue with the motherboard. So it could be a motherboard issue with you. Are you getting any feedback from the computer as to why its shutting down? Turn off the "restart on system error" checkbox in Control Panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery , wait for computer to reset and it should bring up a blue screen of death

Better to wait for other people to give their opinions before going and buying a new psu, i'm no guru!

Shadowrunner said:
FOr a system that is 3 times better than mine (oh mine IS good) you do need a bigger PSU. May I suggest something around the lines of 400-500 watt? The problem with alot of ignorant buyers is they reckon they can go with a cheap PSU. WRONG.

What you mean? My PC is 3 times better than yours?

What PSU do you recomend?

mcpalmer said:
If the graphics card is overheating it normally shows artifacts on the display like incorrectly coloured / shaped polygons / graphical distortions, and then shuts down the computer, in my experience it does not shut down automatically. You could try the other card and see if the overheating persists, just to make sure. If it does you could be pretty certain then that the problem is not with a graphics card.

To me, it sounds like a psu problem but i may be wrong. I'm having problems with my computer shutting down while playing certain games, and i think i've narrowed it down to an issue with the motherboard. So it could be a motherboard issue with you. Are you getting any feedback from the computer as to why its shutting down? Turn off the "restart on system error" checkbox in Control Panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery , wait for computer to reset and it should bring up a blue screen of death

Better to wait for other people to give their opinions before going and buying a new psu, i'm no guru!

If you say it should not be the grpahics card over heating i think i want to buy a 500w PSU just becuase i am hoping that it is not the Mother Board that is messed. If it is i will just take it back becuase the system is only like 2months old.

If any one can help please do

Cont From Last Post.....

I Am Not Gettin Any Messages To Why It Is Shutting Down.

I Must Not Be The Graphics Card Becuase I Am Gettin Crisp Images But Then With Out Any Warning The Computer Just Shuts Down Or Restarts And No I Do Not Get Any Messages To Why It Has Been Shutting Down

The Computer Is Only Shutting Down When I Am Gaming Or Proper Using My Computer

Personally, have always been a friend of Thermaltake powersupplies ... but just look at any UK online retailer website and search for Power Supplies in the 450 - 500 Watt range ... after that it is more or less up to your budget !!!

But yes, I agree, the PSU would be the most likely thing to replace with the problems you described.

Try testing your RAM,you can get Memtest86+

I would say if it was a memory problem you would get system feedback eg memory dump rather than the computer autoresetting. But there is no harm in testing I guess - it does take a bloody long time though

Even if the problem does not turn out to be the psu its still woth getting a new one cos the system you have should have more than 350W anyway. I use jeantech psu but i'm sure thermaltake are also fine - just don't get a cheap unbranded one - you get what you pay for with psus!!

Also, check there are no loose connections inside your case, this can cause the computer to freeze / reset.

Thats the thing im running the mem test and so far there is not a problem so far.

i am not getting any error messages. The computer would just re start or shut down and then it would not say anything meaning no error messages it would go straight into windows.

there is no errors no blue screen of death

i have found a 500w psu by atx to run for me for a little while.

what you think of this psu

Hi everyone, tajinder2001 I think too that the problem here is the PSU i have workred with system with more heat and works fine, your system is lack of power and some demanding tasks like games could make the system shutting down....

i am not getting any error messages. The computer would just re start or shut down and then it would not say anything meaning no error messages it would go straight into windows.
Have you turned off restart on system error tick box in control panel like i suggested in an earlier post? just checking you did this. If you did not then the computer will always just reset regardless.

The psu looks like a goody to me! :grinthumb £50

yea i done that and it is still restarting regardless.

i am not getting any blue screen of death or anything. its just restarting and shutting down still.

this is seriously pissin me off now

Try looking in Event Viewer and see if any error messages have been place in there. This sometimes lead you closer to the cause of the problem. :p

I have tryed a new MoBo and it was still crashing.

I tryed a 440 power supply and it stil crashing. Tryed a 550 and it still crashed then a 600 and it still crashed. Then i tryed a server power supply and then guess what oh its still crashin again.

Then put a new Processor in first it was a AMD 64 3000+. Then i put a AMD 64 3200+ It didnt crash for like a day and now it is crashing again.

Done a ram test and thats fine

This is annoying the **** out of me and would some one please help me.

I got the same problem and i used 4 different power supplys and they all do not work.

I tryed a 440W PSU A 550W PSU a 600W PSU and a 600W server power supply and the pile of **** is **** is still crashing so i do not know what the hell is going on.

ive done a mem test and its fine change the mobo and it still crashin. changed the psu 4 times change the processor and its still crashin. it aint over heating its averaging out on about 30-40 degrees

So i dnt know what to do

Its not about getting a BIGGER power supply; you need a better one (they deliver more uniform and stable current), have a look at my previous post, follow the link to my thread, and see what solved it.

I don't think it is the power supply that's the problem. The one you were looking at before seemed more than good enough. When it gets to this stage of the problem its just a case of trial and error until you find the faulty component - have you tried a different hard drive? Thats about the only thing you haven't swapped isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back