PC does not boot up or gets a BSoD

RyuSageri

Hello, it's a bit of a strange story so please try to fallow through. :rolleyes: I will try to write everything what happened from start to finish. Here goes:

My friends PC had crashes during gaming or intensive usage. After cleaning a wall of dust between the radiator and the fan of the GPU and running a FurMark stress test it all seemed ok. After a few hours he called me again and said that his PC crashed completely during a Skype conversation and would not get past the initial boot screen.
At that point I have tried:
Ree set the GPU.
Ree set the Ram.
Reset the CMOS with the battery. Oddly enough the Bios would not boot up ether.
Tried the GPU in another PC, worked.

At that point I thought that the power supply could have died. I had hocked up that PC to my own power supply and got to Windows loading screen, however ether nothing would show up after the loading or I would get a BSoD with this message:
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
Stop: 0x000000D1
Bios works, set everything as it should be.
What is even more weird that after this I had tried the old power supply and got the same thing as with my own. From here I tied to run the PC with only one stick of ram and switched between sticks. Didn't help.

The PC does boot up to Safe Mode.
From there I have tried windows restore from a couple of days and tried loading last known good configuration. Did not work.
For now I am running Memtest on all the ram sticks and after 2 passes there are no errors. However I doubt that anything will show up as it may be a driver issue or a virus.

I am fresh out of ideas and I had hoped that you could shed some light for me before I try any drastic measures :D (restoring factory defaults)

Computer specs:
HP Pavilion a6426.sc
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4600
Mobo: Asus IPIBL-LB (Benicia)
Chipset: Northbridge chipset: Intel G33 Express, Southbridge chipset: Intel ICH9R
Ram: 4GB, 4 sticks, PC2-6400 MB/sec (message as PC2-5300)
GPU: Asus GeForce 8500 GT 512MB
HDD: Samsung 500GB

Regards, Ryu.

0xD1 errors are usually caused by faulty drivers. The fact that you can boot up in Safe Mode points to drivers.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Minidumps

I have only two recent files, others date back to before this was going on. Do not mind the date as I have not set it after Bios reset.

Attachments

• Mini010602-01.dmp
    135.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini010902-01.dmp
    135.1 KB · Views: 1
h files cite the Nvidia video driver nvlddlm.sys as the cause of your system crashes. Therefore, do the following:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

No luck

Fallowed your steps exactly as you wrote.
First try: latest Nvidia drivers; after 3 tires to boot up with no luck - uninstalling them again.
Second try: tried to boot up only with Windows default drivers; got a blue screen with same info(minidump included), uninstalling again.
Third try: again tried the latest Nvidia drivers; system just idles after Windows boot screen, no luck getting a blue screen after 4 ties to boot.

The system does boot in normal mode without drivers after cleaning them with Driver Sweeper and fails to if any drivers are present. The strange thing is that when I check DxDiag or Display Settings in Safe Mode with the drivers present they show absolutely no Graphics adapter installed, however Device Manager does show the card and states that it's working properly.

Another thing. I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get past the initial boot screen in my friend's home and why did the system boot up to Windows loading and only then crash in my home. The only thing changed is that I use my own power cable.His cable got damaged somehow? And so if his power cable was indeed damaged and caused system not to boot could it have also damaged something inside the PC to cause all of this mess I am trying to solve now?

Attachments

• Mini040711-01.dmp
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
GPU Fail

I guess I have found the problem. After a few unsuccessful tries to reinstall the drivers I put that card back to my system. Again it loaded without any drivers as it did the first time when I put it in my system, however after driver installation and a reboot windows did not load leaving me with a BSoD. Same result on two systems would mean a graphics card failure.

I have uploaded the zip of my minidump just in case I am wrong. Unzipped size was 550KB's and the forum only accepts 200KB maximum.

Attachments

• 040911-11434-01.zip
    36.4 KB · Views: 1
Back