PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try)

awac1991

Hello everyone! Been having some crazy stuff going on with this new PC that I just built. I cannot get it to startup at first try, I just get a black screen and the BIOS “welcome” doesn’t show up, and neither does the windows startup loading of course. When I manually restart it (Power Button long press) it runs just fine.

I have read that thousands of things could be potentially causing this, from Hard Drive to Power Supply, to graphics card… but my actual bet is on RAM voltages/overclock causing it, since I recently overclocked it via BIOS, setting the default frequency at 2133mhz (which is what my RAM offers at maximum and the max that my Motherboard can read).

The actual voltage is set to “auto” via BIOS, which stays at 1,5V, so I’m not sure if lowering or raising it will solve the problem. XMP is disabled, not sure if that’s relevant. My BIOS is up to date. My graphics card is old, I'm planning to change it soon but I didn’t have any problem in the past with it. Hard drive is also old, but runs just fine. I’m open for any suggestions!

Specs:
- Tacens Mars Gaming 600W power supply
- AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
- MSI Gaming 970 Motherboard (http://thepcenthusiast.com/msi-970-gaming-am3-motherboa...)
- XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5
- G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 8GB CL9 (2x modules of 4GB, Dual channel in slots 1 & 3)
- Hard Drive: SATA II WD10EADS-22M2B0 1TB
- Win 8.1 - 64bit

Some screenshots (CPU-Z confirms I’m running at 2133mhz, MSI Command Center does not get accurate frequency readings):
comand-center-1-jpg.78964

cpuz1-jpg.78965

Thanks in advance for all the help! If I forgot to mention something please tell me
smile.gif

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

Check and make sure the wire cables are connected properly and not loose. Also, can replace CMOS battery and see you may able to access your computer.

P.S. Also check that the hard drive connection is set to UEFI under BIOS connection settings. Windows 8/8.1 supports only secure booting.

Good luck though!!

Win 8/8'1 will boot with out secure boot. I have a older computer I bought before Win8 came out. It runs 8.1.With no problems and does not have secure boot. Try setting your ram back to it orignal specs. See if this lets you boot up on the first try.

Everything is connected properly, and I even tried disabling the slight overclok...But its still happening! Any ideas ? Thanks again ;)

I haven't ran across this type of issue in years, when I did though, it was a PSU problem, so I think Cobalt006 is on to something.

Iam sure its because of a to low PLL voltage or to low Vcore or maybe even to high, check ur Bios settings!
, also google it 'vcore, vpll, overclocking'

iam not into amd cpu's but a ram frequency depends on the cpu..as far as I know

Last edited:
Back