TechSpot

Pc failed to start, leave it for 30 mins it starts.Powersupply, Power Button, Or MOBO

By DeepBlu
Sep 23, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello ,

I am facing a problem with my pc during the last week, I worked in connecting PCs for 2 years , and I know what I'm doing.

its my own pc I had 5 years ago,

problem begun when I tried to start my pc one day , and it failed to start no fans activity and dead slience , played with the vga card , rams, processor's heat sink , nothing , so I removed the only pci card I got "a modem" , unplugged all power plugs from HD and cd, floppy , left just the ATX power and the aux ,cleared cmos nothing happened still dead, so , I got the Motherboard out of the chassis , and after some trials , its back to life , so I got it back to the chassis , and it worked , from that point , my pc always fail to shutdown or restart , when I try to shut down it stops responding on windows is shutting down , even when I hit the restart button on the chassis, the display don't come back and I hear random beeps out of the chassis speaker ;not sign to anything just random and no POST, so I have always to unplug the powerplug from PSU coz it has no power switch, and even after I unplug power , and replug it and i press power button sometimes fans goes on with no POST, and no display and sometimes nothing like no fans activity unplug the power from PSU and replug again and I make a lil surge with it while plugging and then fans are back working with no POST and no display.

continously trying gets no use , what I am doing currently is to unplug the power plug from the PSU , and leave the pc like 20 Mins , and then plug the power plug hit the power button , Traa!!! and everything is working normally.

But while pc is working don't ever think to restart or shutdown because if I do , I will have to wait another 20 mins to get it back working... :S:S:S

Is this is the PSU? or my motherboard is touching the chassis?! chassis power button? if it is , why it works after 20 mins waiting without making a single change?!?!

Is it related to static electricity? , the CPU heat is always normal , and my pc never act wierdly while running, problems just starts when trying to shutdown so it won't be back to life before a while like 20 mins unplugging the powerplug off the PSU, do I have to change the PSU before it fries my MOBO , or its just a mean static electricity issue or what? I just upgraded RAM and the PC performance got significantly improved but this problem is headache.

I'm doubting the PSU and even the power cable , please advise I'm getting mad

Configuration is:
    1.6 Pentium 4
    384 MB RD-RAM samsung 800 MHZ 4 RIMMs: 1 & 3 128MB and RIMMS 2 & 4 64MB
    MOBO Gigabyte GA-8ITX3 http://www.gigabyte.co.za/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1356
    Motorolla SM56 fax
    ATX 250w PSU

2. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,003   +11

i think it has to do with either mobo or PSU.
    power button alone i don;t think would be the issue because your computer starts at 20-30 mins afterwards... if the power button is out of order, i don't even think you could start the computer..

so.. basically i could say that your pc is quite old., 3-5 years old perhaps.... which indicate that psu might be gtting bad....
    try to swap a new PSU and see whether it works...

or rather wait what some people comment about this... :D
    anyway, welcome to techspot!! :)

3. DeepBlu

DeepBlu TS Rookie Topic Starter

What would you think will be wrong with the mobo ? last time when I mounted it I just used 2 screws...but you strengthen my decision buying a new psu saving the mobo from frying even if it wasn't the problem, I'm currently leaving my pc always on so I don't stuck with it till I get the new psu, I will try and tell you, hope it works.

4. Firedawg1971

Firedawg1971 TS Rookie Posts: 57

Most likely it is the PSU which I have seen do before ( I suggest taking just the psu to your local shop and have them test it) My bet it is the -5 volt rail, Also take a good look at the caps on the mobo since it is a gigibyte mobo (during that time manufacture boards were known to have bad caps)

5. puffader

puffader TS Rookie Posts: 75

Get a new battery for the MoBo

6. DeepBlu

DeepBlu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Do you mean caps that screws goes in firedawg? and what's the -5 volts rail? nobody around fixes PSUs, so if I changed it would it fix that? you know , what makes me hmm about the psu is that I'm currently working with it

Well puffader , sounds a good idea too , that could be made b4 the psu, it's easy and the time on windows is going bad also, but I didn't adjust it from cmos after I reseted it. coz if I entered the cmos , display is off and not on till the 20 mins, but still cmos keeping its other configuration , I guess if I could adjust the time from cmos it would be stable , but it's a good idea to change the battery to exclude it, I will do it and tell you

7. Firedawg1971

Firedawg1971 TS Rookie Posts: 57

The caps = capictors http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

this link should explain. Take the PSU to a local shop the can test it for free. nobody works on them but they can test them to sell you as replacement. and a mobo battery would be a waste of 3-4 dollars.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.