My CPU fan was starting to get really noisy, so I figured it was having trouble blowing past all the dust and lint. upon inspection I found that the whole heat sink was covered in a solid piece of lint. Now I'm pretty good with computers. I've completely disassembled, upgraded and reassembled my laptop and it works fine (hence i'm able to post this). Even my PC was mostly built by me. So I took off the heat sink and the fan from the processor so that I could clean them. The fan works great now, but the computer won't boot. It turns on for about 10 seconds displaying an intel logo and then crashes. Now I haven't reapplied the thermal paste to the CPU, but that should only affect it's ability to cool itself once running. it shouldn't prevent it from working at all. So just to clarify. The CPU stayed in it's socket and separated from the adhesive paste on the heat sink. Any idea on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.