PC freezes and locks up

Sparten316

Yeah that just about sums it up. I've done many tests and roll backs on drivers. The only thing I can't undo is any Windows 7 updates without completely wiping the hard drive. My computer specifications are on my profile but I can copy and paste them.
I ended up here while searching for any answers. The thread I looked at was about freezes but near the end was no longer relevant. I am using an AMD six core processor, two 4gig sticks of ram and a 1 terabyte hard drive. I have had no issues with checkdisk, cpu scans/checks, and ram checks.
I am looking for any advice for the issue since I don't want to harm my computer by continuing to force shut offs. The computer freezes up entirely, no mouse movement and even sounds get all whacked out and stuck like an old broken record. After around 40-60 seconds of this I end up holding down the power button tell it shuts off. Then rebooting the machine. Before I end up going through all the steps to save my information and do a full hard drive wipe to see if that fixes the issue. I would rather, as I said, get some advice.

My mother board should be fine and is an Asus M5A99X EVO. I built this computer myself and it is just over a year old.

Shouldn't be that either. It's a cooler master 650 w. Everything was purchased bran new like I said and the power supply has like a 4 year guarantee or something like that.

Well, everything should be fine for that matter but plainly it is not. Tmagic650 is suggesting the power supply is failing. Brand new components can be defective and the length of the warranty has no bearing on whether or not a component is defective. Do you have access to another power supply for testing purposes? If so, give it a try.

Nope I do not. Besides that, she runs fine even through the tests. The freezing occurs randomly no matter the length of time the computer has been on or what I had been doing while it was on.

For instance. I can play a game for a couple hours with no issues and no complaining from the computer. A few hours later I will put on some music and walk away and it will freeze up a few minutes later. There has only been one instance were I turned on the computer and just a few minutes later it froze up. I went a whole day with nothing and it happened today again so I decided to make a post here.

Nope I do not. Besides that, she runs fine even through the tests. The freezing occurs randomly no matter the length of time the computer has been on or what I had been doing while it was on.

For instance. I can play a game for a couple hours with no issues and no complaining from the computer. A few hours later I will put on some music and walk away and it will freeze up a few minutes later. There has only been one instance were I turned on the computer and just a few minutes later it froze up. I went a whole day with nothing and it happened today again so I decided to make a post here.

Random freezes like yours are the hardest problems to fix. We have to start somewhere. Program conflicts, bios settings, and power supply issues, are things to start with

Yesterday after it locked up I exited Raptr, a desktop gaming app. The rest of the day went without any issues. The other day was the same. Although, it wasn't tell late in the evening I found Raptr wasn't active. Usually happens when they update. I have no definitive proof that Raptr is the cause, but so far without it I haven't had another lock up. Is disappointing if it is the cause. I'll update later I guess.

Huh I guess you can't just edit a post. That seems counter productive.
A whole day of the pc being on. Played smite for several hours of that time too... Wasn't tell I left it to watch some anime on tv, came back and it was frozen. So maybe not having Raptr up minimizes freezes but isn't the complete cause. Oh well... I fear causing permanent damage to my computer with these forced shut offs.

"I fear causing permanent damage to my computer with these forced shut offs"... Doing this will eventually corrupt the hard drives Windows install, and you will end up re-installing Windows fresh

Well this wasn't very helpful. I have a feeling that windows 7 did an update of some kind that messed with it's ability to function properly. I found no other issues with my computer and after some fresh windows updates it seems to be running fine. I recommend for future users to rollback any and all drivers or updates when these issues occur.
I'll likely return to this site with any future issues or problems, but not currently to browse other threads. No time at the moment.

Back