PC freezes at boot menu

Havoc25

Hello,
my PC was running fine, but after a blue screen its having problems with booting.
sometimes it just worked and it was booting fine, but then after like 2 min it also freezes when I logged in my PC.
But now it wont even boot anymore its getting stuck at the boot menu, I tried to start it in safemode but when its loading files it freezes and when it freezes you see some strange coloured pixels on the screen.
Is anyone familiar with this issue problem? I really need help with this.
Thanks

Alright I might check that thanks, you got any tips to check the hard drive?
thanks for your message.

Go to Computer, and right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools and check now, setting a disk check on next startup

[FONT=Arial]Yeah, Tmagic may have hit the nail right on the head there. It does sound like a failing drive as I had almost the same exact thing happen to a previous rig. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I [/FONT][FONT=Arial]think there are downloadable utilities you can use to check the health of your disk from boot -- you don't have to get into Windows to use them. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I remember using SeaTools -- for instance -- for just that purpose, but that was a while back. You download the ISO image and create a bootable CD and use that to test your drive.

I am assuming, however, that you can boot to CD. Can you?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

Dawn1113, at first thanks for your message.
I tried to reinstall my PC with a recovery disk, then its asking me to hit a key to boot from my CD drive.
then its saying windows is loading files but even then its getting stuck... so probably I can't boot from my CD drive either

I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you sure you gave your system enough time to load the installation files? Sorry, I have to ask because it is very important that you let Windows do its thing. Came across a situation here where a guy failed to allow Windows to update properly. Messed up his recovery partition, if I recall correctly.

If you are positive that you have given Windows enough time, then it sounds like you may have to reformat the HDD first. There are utilities to help you do that, as well. Hiren CD, I think. There are many others out there that may be better. So it would be best to wait for more experienced members to chime in.

I'd give the disk check utility option a try, first and foremost, though. If you've got a failing drive -- one that has outlived its useful lifespan -- then there's no point reformatting it for a Windows reinstall.

How is old is the drive? Have you any idea as to what caused the initial BSOD?

no problem, I'm sure I gave it enough time. if its freezing its showing some colored pixels on the screen and its not loading further.
the drive is like 5-6 years old now. when I restarted my PC after I had BSOD it said windows was repaired from an unexpected shut down. and it gave an error report, it said it was something about the operating system.. I checked for new updates but they were all installed.
sorry for my bad English I hope you understand this.

Thanks again for your message.

I second what Dawn1113 said, Hiren's or UBCD boot disk can either boot you up so you can check the HDD, or indeed flatten it in many strange and wonderful ways! There is a utility on Hiren's that allegedly recovers failing hard drives, I forget the name, but it's something like hard drive regenerator or repair or some such, might work as a stop-gap? Also lots of tools to help to retrieve data before the HDD's a total door-stop!

Cobalt006 has a good point, Havoc25. The garbling you mention may be indicative of some video error. Best to post your complete system specs just to be sure, though. Beep codes may vary.

As for the failure to boot from the recovery disk, it just may be that your recovery partition has taken some damage. Still, I say a check disk is worth a try and should be the first step. Nothing to lose there, really. If a check proves futile, then I'd take a look at the PC manufacturer's website for options.

I have to say, if you haven't used Hiren's before, then I'd think twice. I've used it before, that's why I threw it out there. Dr John has used it before, too. But I'd urge you to be very careful about these things, especially so since we're not 100% sure what the problem is yet. As Cobalt006 has pointed out, the problem might be GPU-related. I'd wait until a reasonably accurate diagnosis can be made before I do anything.

It always pays to be thorough about these things. :)

I'll post my specs later today thanks dawn1113,

when I looked in my bios it still showed my hard drive so I think that's still working fine?

I have read another post from a guy with the same PC he got almost the same problem..
he said he had bought a new hard drive but still had the problem..
then he changed his RAM and that was probably the issue so it may be the same problem as I have?

I'll post my specs later today thanks dawn1113,

when I looked in my bios it still showed my hard drive so I think that's still working fine?

I have read another post from a guy with the same PC he got almost the same problem..
he said he had bought a new hard drive but still had the problem..
then he changed his RAM and that was probably the issue so it may be the same problem as I have?

I don't think the fact that your drive shows in your BIOS is indicative of anything other than it is connected your motherboard, really. The BIOS will be able to detect a bad drive the same way it would detect a working HDD, as far as I know.

I can understand how things might get a bit overwhelming when things go wrong and you have no idea why. Happens to me all the time.:) I've learned that the thing to do is to eliminate the possible causes of the problem one by one. You do that by testing. You have to start trying stuff out, run tests, be thorough. Otherwise, you will end up with a whole lot of guesses and not much else. Or, as you described above, you end up buying replacements for parts that do not need to be replaced.

You say that when you tried to run a repair disk, your PC asked you to press a key to boot from CD. Your start up repair CD works with files stored your in your HDD. It may be that the files it needs to recover your OS were corrupted, and so it was unable to complete the process. That does not necessarily mean that your PC can't run a disk check from a bootable CD, though. Worth a try. If that doesn't work, then you will at least be 100% sure there's nothing more that can be done along that route.

If you really don't think you should even attempt to test the drive at this point, then you may as well pull out the RAM you have now, drop in RAM that you are sure that is compatible with your board (be sure to check your mobo's QVL), then see if the problem persists. If that changes nothing, then go ahead and borrow a working GPU from a friend, test that on your system. If you still experience problems, then you move on to the next possible cause. It could be anything at this point (may be your PSU, in fact), so you have to be patient, or be willing to pay a professional do all that for you. (That last option is always the most convenient, in my opinion! ;))

Anyways, good luck and keep at it. And do check your thread for the advice of more knowledgeable members.

And sorry for the wall of text! :D

thanks dawn1113 I'm really thankful that you people help me with this problem.

I'll try all this things you said, but first I got another problem and I don't know how it happened.
yesterday when I tried to boot my system nothing happened on my screen...
only my CPU keeps blowing really HARD! not as normal.. same as if you start your system, it blows a bit harder for like 2 seconds for an extra boost or something I don't know, and then run normal again but now it ain't stopping.
is there something wrong with my CPU?

Thanks.

Ok my CPU stopped acting weird :) I got a UBCD from 2005 I think, should I use it to check my hard drive?
Thanks

I checked my hard drive with an UBCD from 2005.

I scanned my drive and it was freezing again.. So I thought it was the hard drive failing.
Then I took a drive from another pc and installed it on my pc, and scanned that one 2 but that one freezes 2..
So its not my hard drive I think?

Sorry for bad english hope you understand

Thanks

@ bazz2004

No its not a Medion desktop its a Packard Bell :/ never had to buy it... people say Packard bell aint that good...

I dont know what 2 do anymore, I scanned 2 hard drives both freezing if they are scanning so it can't be the hard drive..
what else can I check?

im really getting crazy now :/ why aint it working fine

thanks for any help.

Its due to ram man. intially clear it with white Petrol or Petrol and dry it after that use eraser to erase the ram from up and down now time to test it. if not ok, purchase new ram and insert it.
reply the result

Back