PC freezes for three minutes at a time

Well, for the last three months, I've been getting random 1-3 minute freezes at a time. This happens during any activities that I may be partaking in, either it be gaming or even just chatting on skype/facebook. It used to happen a lot less often than it currently does and I just dealt with it but now it's become increasingly annoying so I figured I'd check out some forums. I did get one BSOD a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I put the PC together myself and this was my second build. I checked out the page file business and nothing changed.

I'm not sure what other information I can provide that will be useful but let me know what else I can do to help out. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
could be a number of things including a virus or possibly even faulty hardware (less likely). a lot of freeze ups can be traced back to heat problems and/or an incorrectly configured BIOS. i can't say what your experience level is but if this isn't your first build i'm gonna say you know the basics and how to troubleshoot more common things.

firstly, the dxdiag log looks pretty normal to me, and since there aren't any problems listed i would be looking more at the audio or video drivers themselves... with the latter of the two being the more likely candidate for problems. directx installation is pretty cut and dry but sometimes graphics drivers can just be "broken" on certain machines, so I would start there. are you using the latest graphics drivers? i'm guessing you are not overclocking so i wont ask about 3rd party apps or anything but you'll also want to make sure that the BIOS is configured correctly and at least double check the RAM timings. i always put these in myself using the factory timings that are located on the modules or on the packaging. memory can cause a number of different issues if not configured correctly.

so i would start there and post back with the results. good luck!

My drivers are up to date, about the BIOS settings they've basically been left alone. Any sort of website or perhaps the manual it came with I can look at to see if they are alright? As for the timings, I will have to check that out but I actually had some people from a local hardware store install the RAM and stuff themselves, but I have the packaging for them here, how would I go about checking to see if they're set properly.

you need to enter BIOS before the computer boots the OS, at the POST screen (basically where the system motherboard displays component information or a manufacturer splash screen). it varies by motherboard and BIOS but usually it's the DEL key which you strike before it goes on loading the OS. it may say otherwise right on the POST screen right after the computer is turned on, like "Hit F2 to enter Setup" etc.

i can't say whether or not the computer shop put in the timings or just left them on "Auto." that will typically be fine but like i said i always opt to put in the timings (and voltages) myself. the easiest way to find the timings would be to look at the modules themselves but not all of them have a little sticker that tells you. in this case i would download CPU-Z or Speccy to find the exact specs on the RAM and find the correct timings. when you are in the BIOS the memory timings is most commonly located under chipset options, but can be located in a number of places.

normally i would say the BIOS is fine if the computer is working but freezing up is obviously an issue where you need to eliminate some factors, and BIOS settings is where I tend to look after I know i have the correct drivers and software. if you got a manual with the motherboard consult the pages and it should give you the defaults for each of the settings. if you don't have the hard manual you should be able to download the PDF version from the manufacturer's site.

Hi, there was a default options thing in my BIOS and the timings for my RAM Modules are 9-9-9-24 but I couldn't find where to check if they were set properly, only found an option for changing... I believe it was the frequency of them, it dealt in Mhz options so I just left that on Auto. Anything else I can do to maybe provide you some more information?

Okay I was able to locate the RAM settings and they were all set to auto, the timing was already correctly set to 9-9-9-24. I've loaded all the default settings and saved them, will find out of this continues soon enough.

Hi, so after a day I can confirm that is still happening, but something else I just noticed. My music plays perfectly even while the freezing is occuring, it's usually 10-35 seconds at a time of my PC freezing then its normal for a second or two then back to freezing, and this carry's on for three-five minutes at a time. Hopefully these specifics will help more.

How about starting your own thread, and give more details of your problem and hardware....

That's not a problem ill make my own thread if that is your forums policy, most forums I visit tend to complain about not using existing threads with similar topics

You will wait for years for an answer if you use an old thread like this one. Also, I am sure that your hardware is not the same as the original poster here and you are not running the same exact programs. So start your own thread and be as detailed about hardware and the problem

Back