TechSpot

PC freezes randomly

By Bartosz
Oct 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    I've got a problem with my PC freezing - it just freezes randomly every 40-60mins or so for about 3-4 minutes and then unfreezes again. Sound stops, can't move my mouse. Diode on the case is suggesting that hard drive also stops working.
    As I have 3 hdds, I thought it's the drive issue as the system was running on the 5 or 6 years old drive. I reainstalled my system to the relatively fresh drive (about 2 y.o) with cleaning all the drives by the way, but nothing has changed.

What can be the issue? Memory? CPU? Motherboard? Or a power supply?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

What version of Windows are you running and what antivirus program are you using?

3. Bartosz

Bartosz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows 7, there was norton installed, but no antivirus now. It's not virus issue, I'm sure of that.

4. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Posts: 527

Do u have maleware bytes installed

5. Bartosz

What virus would survive after reinstalling windows to the other drive and formatting all the drives?

6. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Posts: 527

I never asked that I asked do u have maleware bytes installed as I found when I had it installed on mine it kept causing my pc to freeze

7. Tmagic650

Download free Microsoft Security Essentials:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
    Also, download and run this temp file cleaner:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

"What virus would survive after re-installing Windows to the other drive and formatting all the drives?" You should be clean. You should check the memory for errors, and are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

8. Bartosz

No exclamation marks, memory is ok as I tested it by memtest86 for few hours.
    Can it be a power supplier? How can I check if that's it?

9. Tmagic650

Yes it could be a failing power supply. Are ther any bulging or leaking capacitors near the CPU socket like this video shows:

Best way to test a power supply is to replace it

10. Bartosz

All capacitors look fine, I had an idea that maybe I've got too many devices connected and power supply just can't handle all of them. I took out the second network adapter and uplugged external drive, let's see if it's work.
    Replacing the power supply is a last resort.

11. Tmagic650

What is the make and model of the power supply?

12. Bartosz

Modecom Premium 400

13. Tmagic650

How old is the computer?

14. Bartosz

Every part has its own 'age', what do you want to know? Nothing is older than 4 years, except of drives.

15. Tmagic650

Motherboard mainly. At 4 years the 400 watt power supply is my choice to upgrade to 650 or so watts

16. Bartosz

Gigabyte ep35-ds4, got it for like 2, maximum 3 years.

17. Tmagic650

Okay, still going with replacing the power supply with a better quality/higher wattage one

18. Bartosz

Replaced the supply and everything is ok now. Problem solved :) Thanks for help.

19. Tmagic650

Okay great! Thanks for the update:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.