PC freezes regularly when cold, stable when warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

i am with family for an early christmas vacation and found a pc that's regularly crashing 3-5 times after a cold start, and i am told it works well after that. i have "only" experienced one crash yet, yesterday, and the machine is stable now and was again after a restart yesterday. os is win xp, it is protected by kaspersky and cleaned with crapcleaner. as far as i am told the pc itself has been vacuum cleaned and brushed some time ago because of this issue, and should be practically dust-free. any ideas on where to start looking for issues? i suspect it is a hardware-thing, just because of the stability i am told it displays when running for a while.

amd athlon xp 2400+, 1gb ram, radeon 9250, wd hdd

best regards
ungua

Some power supplies are affected by cold temperatures, as is thermal paste and the resulting detection. We see poorly made cables that create the same failures as there is apparently enough change to reduce full electrical contact.
Don't know of an easy fix, except to start replacing components and changing the thermal paste.

oh, this sounds (too) exhausting! but now i found out that this "stable when warm" is bogus, it crashed four (4!) times since i wrote the threadstart. i guess it is a good start to re-install windows xp first then, and have a look at eventual changes? the computer crashes even when walked away, with only firefox 3.0.15 running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back