TechSpot

PC freezing up again. Media player this time

By Gourry25
Dec 4, 2008
  1. Well it is happening again and i completely forget how to fix it.. My Pc is freezing up randomly and i check the Event Viewer then under System i see this:

The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I forget how to fix the issue so if someone can help please reply as soon as your able.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

One Neowin user found this worked for the same problem:
    This is a combination of steps.

3. Gourry25

Gourry25 Topic Starter

I tried that and still getting that damn windows media player error and i know that is what is causing my pc to freeze up randomly I am not sure if un-installing it would be a choice and see what happens or what. but if anyone else has an idea please let me know.

4. Bobbye

Check the Event Viewer and see if there is any Error that corresponds to the time of the WMP message:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
    1. Click to open the log>
    2. Look for the Error>
    3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
    5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

NOTE: Ignore Warnings and Information Events. You do not need to paste the lines of code-if any-in the box below the Description. Please do not copy the entire Event log.

5. Gourry25

Gourry25 Topic Starter

I have checked last night when my Pc froze and it was the exact time it froze in the error log about 1:43am. I talked to a friend who works with software and he suggested i try going into Admin tools -> services and then scroll down to the windows media player and disable the start-up type. If it works good if not i got to think of something else.

6. Bobbye

There is no 'Windows Media Player Service.'
    Boot into Safe Mode:
    Start> Run> services.msc> right click> Properties on each of the following Services and set the Startup Type as advised:
    • Application Layer Gateway Service. Manual
    • Network Connections- Manual
    • Network Location Awareness (NLA)- Manual
    • Plug and Play-Automatic
    • Remote Access Auto Connection Manager- Manual
    • Remote Access Connection Manager- Manual
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)-Automatic
    • Telephony-Manual

Reboot the computer into Normal Mode. Services will start as needed. See if this resolved the problem. It's not the problem with WMP, it's with the 'sharing'.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.