TechSpot

PC getting slow, should I consider upgrading?

By pa1n
Dec 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Recently i've been having some problems with my PC. I've noticed everything is slowing down (the windows startup itself, takes more time to load stuff, especially noticeable when 2+ programs opened at the sime time, which I do often) What i've noticed also and seems kind of weird is the percentage of CPU usage, which is very high most of the time, gets under 40% rarely (used to be around 10 all the time) and as I've said when things start getting slow for ex. opened media player+browser+photoshop it's up in the red showing 100% most of the time . Could this indicate a problem ? The integrated temp. sensors are showing normal temperatures and the processor itself is about 3 years old now .
    ( Intel core 2 duo E4500 , running on Gigabyte EP4PT - UD3LR )
    (8gb Ram, Geforce 8800gt)
    I've been thinking about upgrading for awhile anyway now, what do you guys think ? I was considering Intel i7 870 , what motherboard would you recommend to go with ?
    I work as a designer and my PC slowing down all the time is getting unbearable.

Thanks a lot for any kind and helpful answers ! =)

2. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 212

Personally, I would just do a clean reformat.

3. pa1n

pa1n TS Rookie Topic Starter

Did it about a week ago.

4. EDO219

Oh snaps.

Have you done a HijackThis scan since the reformat?

5. pa1n

doing it right away, thanks for the tip

6. pa1n

heres what i got. Not really sure what everything means.

Attached Files:

7. EDO219

hm ... are you sure you performed a clean reformat and not merely a re-installation of Windows? o_o

The HijackThis log seemed OK until I got down to the services section. Others on this forum are far more studied than I, yet the apparent disappearance of some of the services seems fishy to me: ... ALG ... Isass ... msdtc ... locator ... sppsvc ... WatAdminSvc.

However, if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, then HijackThis would say these files are missing even if they are not. If I had to take a bet on the cause of your PC's sluggishness, then my money would go on an over-heating issue and no malware at all.

It's probably time for a new machine anyhow, especially since you are doing some form of design work. CS4 can be rough on a dual core let alone CS5 or any type of CAD. I must admit, design work on this new i7 950 machine has spoiled me. haha

8. pa1n

thanks. Yeah i'm using CS5