PC Goes into standby mode for no reason PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi new to this

having some serious problems with PC Spec As Follows

P4
Asus P4S8X-X
Geforce FX5200
1 Gig RAM
CDROM DVROM

ok now the problem:
When working on the desktop or even when playing games my PC goes to sleep(standby mode) and the only way to get it back up and running is to press the restart button.
I have tried everything from reformatting the hardrive and changing video drivers the problem still exists. This prob is really stressing me out need help. ive updated the BIOS,, dont know what to do.

NEED HELP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!! Anything will be well appreciated thank you in advanced

Is your computer a laptop or desktop? If its a laptop its because your PowerOptions is set that way when your bat.life goes low.

If its a desktop, check your PowerOptions anyways. To do so:

Start Menu>Settings>Control Panel>PowerOptions

Set all the settings to "Never"/"Always On" ;)

Hope this helps .02

i got a desktop computer.
OK i checked the power option and everything was already on never and always on the problem is still there. ive reinstalled old drivers 3 times. ppl are telling me it could be the motherboard (ASUS P4S8X-X) any truth in that????

No its not your motherboard, dont worry about that, its a simple setting somewhere, we'll figure it out...

Go to Start Menu>Settings>Control Panel>PowerOptions

Then go to the Advanced tab, Under Power Buttons, make sure
"When I press the Power Button" and "When I press the sleep Button" are set to "Do Nothing"

OK ive done that thnx. This thing doesnt happen at a particular time it just happens randomly at any time i think when its running too much. Also sorry for not giving details earlier, i get this error in Event Viewer whenever this happens:

Source:ipnathlp

Description:The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data: (Bytes)
e8000000

If that is any help. it happens mostly when playing postal2. Thnx guys well appreciated.

ok just working on the desktop..

despite the setting i did the monitor suddenly went to standby mode for a short amount of time and then for like after 1/2 a second PC restarted.... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED

STRESSED plz help thnx in advanced

When did this problem start?

What model PSU are you using?

Try experimenting a bit to see if you can repeat the shutdown in a controlled way. Try playing Postal 2 and time how long it takes before your PC shuts down. Make sure you note the time when this occurs, so that you can correlate with the timestamp in the event viewer (should an error be recorded). Right now, there isn't enough info to make a reliable diagnosis.

Originally posted by Stephen79
bet your using Omega 3.8 drivers right?

no, he has a Geforce FX5200.

What PSU are you using?
Have you got the additional P4 Power connector plugged in? (the little 4 Pin ATX style one, or the standard molex connector, if the motherboard requires it - which most do)

hey, snake i got nearly the same problem. except that my monitor is in suspend even when my pc is booting up or when it wants to initialize the graphic card at the boot process.

im kinda stuck, because i think i change every peripheral? in my system. changed os, cpu, power supply, cables, monitor, hd, ram and graphic card. well now i have a new power supply and i will test another card and another monitor.

i have
elitegroup k7s5a
1024mb sdram
xp2000+
120g maxtor
geforce ti4200
winxp and win2000 + recent drivers

i loaded up my pc with a complete new installation and all went cool for 3 days and then suddenly this error occured again. it also happens when the pc is just turned on, loads winxp and then goes in suspend mode. and for me even resetting, cutting the power etc. doesnt work. this sucks really. my new cpu cooler is also working wonderful, so it cant be the temperature, too.

Check that the cooler (in whatever shape) on the Northbridge on your mobo is properly connected. If attached with double-sided tape, replace this with some good thermal-paste (Arctic Silver 3 is probably best), if your cooler-mounting is not ONLY the tape, but there are screws or whatever.

Overheating of the Northbridge can play havoc with a lot of your components.

My $0.02 worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back