PC is slow, slows down internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxic girl

Hi, sorry if this was already posted, I couldn't find anything.
so my pc is slow, nothing new about it, but it wasn't always slow. when I reinstalled xp it was perfect, so fast, everything was working fine, then I installed programs like mozilla, new wmp and all those anti-virus and anti spyware programs you need to be safe, and added some pic, basically what you have on your pc, nothing special. and after some time, I noticed pc was getting slower and slower, and I checked in task manager, and suddenly my pf usage was high, sometimes even around 700 MB. since I don't have so much knowledge about that part of pcs I ended some tasks and pf usage got down BUT still my we browser, in my case mozilla was working at 152000 KB which is too high, and it wasn't doing that before. plus my internet is slow, when I test my internet connection it's 2 mbps but I have to wait to load simple page as google for 2 minutes. I scanned my pc with avg and super antispayware and according to them everything is clean but I wonder what is causing mozilla to use so much cpu, and after all what is the reason that my pf usage is so high. and of course I can't close mozilla, cuz I need smth to browse the net, right? plus I tried safari, and ie7 and after some time they start to work around 150000 KB so it's not just mozilla

here is the dxdiag, thank you in advance

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    49.5 KB · Views: 28
Ok normally when opening too much tabs in firefox it take much resources but I don't think it is the problem of the tabs because the other browsers like safari and IE7 takes the same.

So I think it is due to spyware and virus.

So for that I would recommend you to download Avira Antivir Premium
and download A-Squared Anti-Malware for spyware. those are two good products for detecting all that.

Download the tool below and attach the log in txt format this is the quickest way to see if your computer is infected. Start a new thread in the security section and post a link to the thread along with the log

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Come back here to this thread and Attach the log in txt format your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Xxdanielxx sorry for not creating a new thread. here is the hjt log, so those who understand it look if I'm infected or not

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12 KB · Views: 5
Well first you have to anti virus software installled we need to remove one I like avaira it is alot better the AVG. Once you do that let me know

That's the point papermate
like 150Meg for some processes

Please do not post, just for the hell of it!

avira is installed, currently scanning. now about anti-spyware, should i leave super antispyware, or a-squared anti-malware that amagnien recommended?

Daniel will handle the files that need to be checked and removed but handle the double AV problem because you don't have extra 'space' for anything!

You referred to 'Mozilla' several times. But I see Safari installed. Safari is put out by Apple, Not Mozilla. The browser from Mozilla is Firefox, which I do not see.
mozilla was working at 152000 KB
While it is true that Firefox leaks memory and can get this high, that can be handled by simpling closing Firefox and relaunching it. But as mentioned, I don't see it installed.

But you cannot just end tasks in the Task Manager because you thing they are using too much memory. You have to identify those processes, determine whether they need to be running, then deal with the program, app or Service that started them running, not by closing the process down! To help with identification:
STARTUP APPLICATION DATABASE LIST
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

checked in task manager, and suddenly my pf usage was high, sometimes even around 700 MB.
What is pf? Process usage if given in KB, not MB, so what are you converting to get the 700MB figure?
Total Space: 78.2 GB/ Free Space: 1.5 GB/
You have less than 2% of the hard drive free.
Page File: 842MB used, 403MB available
You need to increase your page size:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/physically_setting_the_page_file_size.htm

it's true that i'm using safari now, but i have mozilla installed and sometimes use it, don't know how to prove that.
about pf usage, when i open task manager, go on the performance tab i see cou usage which is now at 4 % and pf usage which is now 631MB

other than that, thank you for your help, appreciate it

You continue to say 'Mozilla'- do you mean Firefox? It does not show in your log. You have to be specific in the name of what process you see- I don't know what 'pf' is- do you mean 'performance'? What is 'cou'?

i see cou usage which is now at 4 % and pf usage which is now 631MB

Look on the Processes tab- that's where you will see which process is using how much CPU and memory. The Firefox process is firefox.exe. You can double-click on the top frame of the memory column and sort the processes in descending order. At the moment, My Firefox v3.0.1 with only 1 tab is showing 65,752K. When I launch Firefox with 7 tabbed homepage,memory usage is 86,764K. These numbers are on the Processes tab.

yes i mean firefox, what else could it be? PF is as far as i know page file, correct me if i'm wrong. cou is CPU but i hit the wrong button, so sorry for that. at the moment firefox.exe with one tab is showing 76.120 K and increasing. safari.exe is showing 108.564 K

and i have one question about that startup database list you gave me, there they mention svchost.exe as virus, but i have 10 svchost.exe in task manager, 5 of them are System, 3 are Local service and 2 are network service, so i don't know which one to close, cuz yesterday i closed on of them and my pc shut down

PF is as far as i know page file/ cou is CPU
Better to spell these out and not take a chance on using a shortcut which may also apply to other processes.

As far as I'm concerned, CPU=CPU
The numbers for both Safari and Firefox are okay.

i have 10 svchost.exe in task manager, 5 of them are System, 3 are Local service and 2 are network service, so i don't know which one to close, cuz yesterday i closed on of them and my pc shut down
You cannot shut the svchost processes down safely from the Task Manager, fr the simple reason you do not know what is running them. I have 10 svchost.exe processes running which is usual for me.

Here are some of the processes that appear as svchost in the Task Manager- Services set to Automatic start at boot and Services set to Manual start when needed:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services:
COM+EventSys
Cryptograph
DCOM
DHCP
Distributed Link tracking
DNS Client
Network Connection
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
RasMan
Remote Access Connection Manager
RPC
SENS
Server
Shell Hdw
System Restore
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP
Telephony
Themes
Windows Audio
Windows Mgmt
Windows Time

So you can see that randomly stopping these processes without knowing what are for should not be done. If you want more information about the Services that I've listed, See this: http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html

To consider after Danial has finished with malware cleaning:

but still we don't know the reason that is slowing my pc, so what do you suggest?
Your computer is slow because:
1. You have too many Browser Helper Objects (BHO_> 02 in HijackLog
2. You have too many programs automatically loading from the Registry or Startup group> 04 in HJ
3. You have too many extra buttons on the IE Toolbar>09 in HJ

All of these processes load when you boot- this makes the bootup take longer. Everything that loads at boot uses resources to run in the background. This slows down your speed on the internet.

You also have a great number of programs and apps on the hard drive> C:\Program Files in HJ. Each one of these that you call up to run in addition to what you already have running uses resources and contributes to slowing you down.

The "fix"?
1. Take everything off the Start menu except the antivirus & firewall.
2. Uninstall programs you don't use or don't need.
3. Reboot the system occasionally to free up the RAM
4. Run regular maintenance on the system to include:
a. Disc Cleanup
b. Error Check
c. Defrag
d. Scan w/AV + 2 or more spyware/adware programs regularly.

Then you will notice a difference.

in case you have not fixed it. Try booting your system and open task manager as fast as posible upon system startup. Leave it at the processes tab and see what programs use up your memory. If none start your browser and open just your homepage. Observe changes in task manager. If indeed there are too many BHO you'll see major changes in your cpu and memory usage.

Please read this post completely, it may make it easier for you if you copy and paste this post to a new text document or print it for reference later.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan.**Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [bymjhuq] "c:\documents and settings\jelena\local settings\application data\bymjhuq.exe" bymjhuq
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.**Close HiJackThis*and*reboot.

Please download the OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

Code:
    [b]c:\documents and settings\jelena\local settings\application data\bymjhuq.exe[/b]
  • Return to OTMoveIt2, right click in the "Paste List of Files/Folders to Move" window (under the light Yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • A log of files and folders moved will be created in the c:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date and Time (mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log). Please open this log in Notepad and post its contents in your next reply.
  • Close OTMoveIt2
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back