PC keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem, and your help will be much appreciated.

I was using a very CPU intense program ( Called GNS3 which emulate cisco routers)

CPU usage went to 100% then after few moments the PC hangs.

After switching off PC and switching it on again, the PC keeps restarting while loading the windows ( at the black sceen with the windows logo)

1st i thought that the problem is in the windows so i used the windows CD to reinstall it.

After removing the old windows and coping the basic files (from the blue screen after rebooting from CD) i couldn't continue installation as the PC is still keeping restaring at the same black sreen with the windows logo.

And few times it continue to the install screen but after a minute or two the PC hangs or restarted.

My PC specs : ( the same hardware for 8 months till now)

Mother board : GIga Byte EP-43
Video Card: ATI HD 4850 1G
CPU: intel Quadcore 2.4 GHZ
Memory : 4GB RAM DDR2

Sounds like a failed hard drive, or a failed install that will require a total reformat and reboot to your install disk.
Did you run your install disk in Repair mode?

Thanks Kcircyrd for your quick reply.

I don't suspect harddrive failure as i have 2 SATA HDs i tried to reboot from each of them ( one time from the master and other from Slave) but no joy. I can't even reinstall the windows on any of the 2 HDs.

I tried before removing the windows to repair but after finishing it kept restarting.

I wanna ask if it possible for something like what happened to me to damage the Video Card or CPU?

And damage like that, should it be covered under the H/W warranty or they can just say it's due to misuse and refuse to exchange it?

Parts wear out. Drivers become corrupt or damaged in some way. Infestations cause serious damage that takes work to repair.
First, you try to run it in Safe Mode. ... pressing the <F8> screen repeatedly once per second as soon as you press the <on> button.
Your computer should boot to a low resolution screen with many components disasbled.
That gives you a strart in thinking through what is wrong.
As to your question, since it is a company computer, get them to pay for the repair. It is not likely to be your fault.
Otherwise, consider software issues... drivers and infestations before you suspect hardware...
Look at your Device Manager if you can see it in Safe Mode. Do you see any red or yellow flags? If you do not know how to view the device manager, get back to us.

If you do get on make sure your "display drivers" are up to date. At that, Make sure all devices are up to date like kcircyrrd was saying.Just right click on "My Computer" then click properties. You should find all the devices within that. Depending on your computer abilities you may want to check the BIOS when you get the computer on and see if it is over heating. From the sounds of it it could be a processor issue. If it closes on you when the black screen with the windows logo is up with the bar that goes by doing the loading then it is most likely a processor issue indeed.

You can do what kcircyrd told you to do first then try the 8 step anti spyware and malware removal that techspot offers.

Worked for me.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back