PC locks up when reading data files (continuation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a problem for some time now where my PC locks up whenever I try to read a data CD or DVD, I have tried various things without much success until I un-installed the NERO software I was running.
Now I can read data CD's and DVD's but only once, if I take the CD or DVD out and reinsert it the PC locks up as previously.

I notice however that if I look at the drivers for my CD/DVD writer there are still 2 Nero (Ahead) drivers listed being incdrm.sys and InCDPass.sys.

Could these be causing the problem and if so how do I safely remove them.

I have tried deleting the device driver and rebooting the machine but these 2 drivers keep coming back.

Incidentely the other drivers listed for the device are cdrom.sys, imapi.sys,pfc.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll

Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree with this so if anyone can provide some help I would be grateful.

Thanks Nodrog

You might be onto something. :)

I specifically uncheck InCD when installing Nero. It's useless to me, cuz I don't need to be nagged every time I insert a blank or rewriteable disk.

You can go to Nero uninstall, see if there's an option to remove InCD. If not, uninstall Nero, reboot, reinstall Nero WITHOUT InCD.

Programme removal

Thanks for the reply Fishookz, I went through the process of uninstalling all of the Nero/Ahead programmes but it seems to have left some bits behind.
Under control panel/programme removal/ InCD is still listed but shows not file details, if I select remove the dialog box says there is nothing to remove.
It seems odd however that the programme listing is not removed from the list if it is empty.

If I look in windows/system32/drivers/ there are 3 InCD drivers listed (InCDrec, InCDPass, ans InCDfs)

If one of these is causing the problem how can I safely remove it ?

I have subsequently loaded Cyberlink writing software so I would prefer not to reload Nero unless I have too.

Hope you can help

Nodrog

Problem resolved

Well I finally sorted it, there was another programme InCd easywriter which was installed as part of the Nero bundle.
After I un-installed this programme my DVD/CD writer works great and no lock ups.

My thanks to those who took an interest and tried to help.

Nodrog

Good job.

I have both clink & nero no prob. And more. The trick is to NOT install unnecessary start-up programs. start > run > enter "msconfig". Sadly, the trend is that every program can't not install such useless icon in the system tray in the lower-right corner (4 for me). Some even leave things behind like dll files and registry keys. My friend will go nuts if I ever move his mouse over the icons. I told him they were slowing down his system. 2 AV's, 2 firewalls, etc. etc.

InCd is like a mom who nags his son, "make your bed NOW!". :) Nero itself can do -r/-rw +r/+rw w/o InCd. It's just a matter of clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back