PC making lots of noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc has been making a lot of noise recently, at first i thought it was because of my old CPU fan. When I upgraded to a new fan though i quickly realised the noise remained.

Now, my pc doesn't always make a lot of noise. It mostly starts when i launch a game (World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4). I find it weird that any fan would start to rotate this fast, because my CPU temp hardly goes up.

I've come to know that it isn't my CPU fan making this noise, because I've been monitoring that using an application called SpeedFan. The CPU fan's rpm is a constant 1795. This is also the speed I see when I check the bios.

I do find it odd that when i check SpeedFan, it shows me 3 fan speeds.
Yet the only one that's working according to SpeedFan is the CPU fan (1795rpm). The other 2 fans are both shown to run at 0rpm.

My speccs:

Foxxcon 915A01-P/915A03-P/915P7AC
Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (2 CPUs)
2048 MB RAM (DDR)
GeForce 9600 GSO (384 MB)

I hope someone can help me out here :)

Speedfan can only monitor fans that are connected directly to a motherboard fan header. You don't mention how many case fans you have installed, other than the CPU fan. Could this "noise" be coming from a hard drive or CD ROM?

Take the side off your case, start up your pc and wait for the noise to start.. Gently touch the CENTRE of your fans with your finger, nothing hard, one by one to stop them, If the noise stops you have your culprit. Dont stop them for too long. Your motherboard may shout at you when you touch the cpu fan, but dont worry.

If you dont get a result, Do as Tmagic suggested and check your cd rom and hard drive for noise. If its hard to tell where its coming from, use a hard solid thin object held against your hard drive or dvdrom and see if you can "feel" any vibration or noise.

As a side note.. Please dont electrocute yourself :)

Still noisy?? Maybe power supply fans?? Which are a real pain to service.

Good luck! :) The graphics card ones are usually the culprit. try that first.

Yes fimbles,
I forgot to mention the power supply fan(s)... They can be replaced, but it may be easier for those less technically inclined, to just replace the entire power supply. I have a drawer full of old power supplies, and I can replace just the noisy PS fan if I have to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back